H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Pandemic declared, global case counts, Tamiflu shortage, Hong Kong closes all schools, pneumococcal vaccine

first_imgJun 11, 2009WHO declares influenza pandemic phase 6The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that the novel H1N1 virus has achieved pandemic status. WHO Director-General Margaret Chan announced the move to pandemic alert phase 6. “The scientific criteria for a pandemic have been met,” she said. “The world is now at the start of the 2009 influenza pandemic.” She noted that most cases have been mild and the epidemic been moderate in relatively well-off countries, but a “bleaker picture” may emerge as it spreads in poor countries.[Jun 11 Chan statement]Global H1N1 count nears 29,000The WHO today released its latest case count for novel H1N1 influenza worldwide: 28,774 cases and 144 deaths in 74 countries, up 1,037 cases and 3 deaths from yesterday’s numbers. Countries reporting the greatest increase in laboratory-confirmed cases since yesterday were Mexico (524 new cases), Britain (156), Australia (83), Japan (33), and China (32).[WHO update 47]Australians urged to conserve TamifluSupplies of oseltamivir (Tamiflu) are scarce at some Australian pharmacies, prompting health minister Nicola Roxon to state that many patients with mild illnesses don’t need that drug and that government stockpiles are reserved for those at highest risk, such as those with underlying medical conditions, the Melbourne Herald Sun reported today. The country’s case count has risen to 1,275, with several hospitalizations, including four with reportedly no risk factors in intensive care units.Manitoba intensifies measures to limit novel flu spreadAmid rising novel flu cases and hospitalizations, Manitoba’s regional health authority warned residents to limit hospital visits and asked people with flulike symptoms to stay away, the Winnipeg Globe and Mail reported today. Two more people were placed on ventilators yesterday, bringing the total to 27. Many are from the province’s First Nations communities. The chief of one group said authorities are sanitizing public places and that crowded housing is contributing to flu spread.Hong Kong closes all schools after finding local clusterHong Kong’s government announced today that it has identified its first local novel H1N1 case cluster, in a school, which prompted government officials to close all schools and childcare centers from tomorrow until Jun 25. Officials also announced plans to open eight designated flu clinics on Jun 13, which could expand to 10 more sites if needed. Officials noted their approach to control the spread of the virus is moving from containment to mitigation.CDC urges pneumococcal vaccine for at-risk groupsThe US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently posted interim guidance on use of the 23-valent pneumococcal vaccine during the novel flu outbreak. The vaccine is still recommended for those age 65 or older and patients aged 2 to 64 who have certain high-risk conditions. However, the CDC urges that those younger than 65 who have underlying health conditions receive the vaccine, because vaccination rates are low and rates of severe novel H1N1 infections are high.[Jun 9 CDC 23-valent pneumococcal vaccine guidance]last_img read more

Messi on the bench as record-breaker Ansu Fati starts for Barcelona

first_imgDortmund, Germany | AFP |  Teenage star Ansu Fati became Barcelona’s youngest ever Champions League debutant after being named in the starting line-up for the Catalan giants’ campaign opener away to Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday.The 16-year-old, who became the club’s youngest ever scorer with his maiden strike against Osasuna last month, gets the nod ahead of Lionel Messi, who returns to the squad after several weeks out injured.At 16 years and 322 days, Fati is around two months younger than the previous record holder Bojan Krkic was when he made his Champions League debut in 2007.Should he score against Dortmund, the Guinea-Bissau talent would become the youngest player ever to score in the competition, overhauling a 22-year-old record held by former Olympiakos player Peter Ofori-Quaye.Messi, who has missed the beginning of the season with a calf injury, will start on the bench against Dortmund. Share on: WhatsApp Coach Ernesto Valverde said Monday that he would decide spontaneously whether or not to let Messi play.“He has trained two or three times and made a good impression. We will see,” said Valverde.Tuesday’s game marks the beginning of a gruelling Group F campaign for Barcelona and Dortmund, as they look to qualify ahead of Inter Milan and Slavia Prague.last_img read more

State Prisons Temporarily Closed to New Inmates

first_imgFlorida prisons have temporarily stopped accepting new inmates, the Department of Corrections confirmed Wednesday. The move is aimed at preventing the spread of coronavirus in state correctional facilities, although it shifts the responsibility of housing offenders to local officials.The policy went into effect Monday.In a statement issued Wednesday, department officials said they are restricting the intake of inmates and “new commitments from counties” until March 30. They emphasized the timeline could change following further consultation with public health officials about the virus, officially known as COVID-19.The decision to halt the flow of inmates into the state’s prison system, which houses around 96,000 offenders, comes one week after Department of Corrections officials cancelled visitation privileges until April 5. However, prisoners’ lawyers are still allowed to have face-to-face visits.State prison officials reassured the public on Tuesday that the department is “fully prepared to handle any potential cases of COVID-19 within the state operated correctional institutions in Florida.”last_img read more

GB&I beaten in inaugural Concession Cup

first_img The inaugural Concession Cup, composed of players in the mid amateur and senior age groups, proved to be a tough assignment for the Great Britain and Ireland team as they went down 21½ – 14½ to the United States at Bredenton in Florida. Played on the Ryder Cup format, GB&I held their own in the opening day foursomes which finished all square. But a six point deficit in the second day fourballs proved a bridge too far. It left the visitors needing to win at least 12 of the 18 final day singles and they succeeded in seven with three halves to lose the session by just a point. It was particularly tough for the six English representatives, only three of whom achieved victories, mid amateur Ed Richardson (Hemsted Forest, Kent), and seniors Richard Partridge and Peter Hedges (both Wildernesse, Kent). Richardson’s (pictured) victory in tandem with Ireland’s Eoghan O’Connell was GB&I’s lone success in the second day fourballs when they beat Patrick Christovich and Trip Kuehne 2 and 1. Partridge won his final day single, 2 and 1 over George Zahringer, while Hedges’ win came in the opening day foursomes alongside fellow Ian Hutcheon from Scotland when they beat Jim Holtgrieve and Robert Lewis 4 and 3 in the all-super seniors clash. The Concession Cup ended, fittingly enough, with a concession on the 18th green. By that time, the US already had clinched a commanding victory to secure the Bonallack-Campbell trophy in the inaugural competition. When the last game between American Gene Elliott and Martin Young saw both balls land safely aboard the 18th green, Elliott doffed his cap and they agreed to halve the final hole for the match to end all square. Foursomes: US 4½ GB&I 4½ Fourballs: US 7½ GB&I 1½ Singles: US 9½ GB&I 8½ Overall: US 21½ GB&I 14½ 6 May 2014 GB&I beaten in inaugural Concession Cup last_img read more

Selects too hot to handle en route to Kootenay Zone Provincial berth

first_imgBy The Nelson Daily SportsWhat a “perfect” weekend for soccer . . . that’s if you’re a member of the Nelson U14 Selects.The Heritage City squad outscored the opposition 12-0 en route to capturing the Kootenay U14 Boy’s Zone Title Sunday afternoon at the Lakeside Pitch.The Selects edged Columbia Valley Titans 2-0 and Kootenay East Rovers of Cranbrook 3-0 before running away with the title Sunday, blasting Kootenay South 7-nil.The title was Nelson’s to lose after the home side knocked off the 2010 U13 Zone champs from Invermere in the tourney opener.Dunavan Morris-Janzen scored at the 12-minute mark in the tight contest to give Nelson all the goals it would need.Nolan Percival sealed the win with less than 15 minutes left in the second half as the Nelson striker was finally able to get behind the tough Columbia Valley defence.Nelson kept up the heady play in an evening encounter against Kootenay East, scoring early to capture the win.Micah May’s header gave Nelson the early advantage.May scored his second of the game converting a Spencer Szabo ball before splitting Kootenay East’s backline.Percival, with his second in as many games, converted a fine pass from Tucker Anderson to finish the scoring.Saturday’s two wins secured the gold medal for Nelson.However, the Selects were not quite finished filling the net, getting seven past rival Kootenay South.May again with the early marker just 45 seconds into the game got the home side off and running.Szabo scored on a penalty kick three minutes later after May was taken down in the box. May and Johnny Johnson, on a nice follow up, would round out first half scoring. Two more for May in the second half and one from Nolan Percival completed the scoring.The Reps are off to Cranbrook before heading west to Penticton for the B.C Soccer Provincial B Cup July 7-10.sports@thenelsondaily.comlast_img read more

Renovations to Queen Elizabeth Park on schedule — facility ready for baseball in spring of 2015

first_imgThe money is used to pay for materials and contractors with the majority of the work being done by Martel, David Gray, Roger Aubert, Stephen Forte, Corbin Comishin and a few enthusiastic NDBA players.“The new and improved diamond will be ready for the early spring,” Martel said, adding a new irrigation system has been installed by the City of Nelson.“Not only does Nelson Little League Baseball use the diamond but so does the high school and slow pitch league and many people use it for evening and weekend pick up games.”Martel said the NDBA would like to erect a 25-foot high fence in right field to stop balls from getting caught up in the tall grass.“This is short right field distance and the wall will keep the balls from being lost on the bank,” said Martel.“Fenway in Boston has a wall so we will make a Nelson equivalent to the Fenway green monster and the plan is for advertising on the wall so that will pay for itself.”Martel said NDBA has seen an increase in registration during the past four years.He said therefurbished diamond at Lions Park for the younger players as well as improvements to Queen Elizabeth Park should help the kids enjoy the game of baseball even more.“Other than evening vandalism, like removing the post and string we used to mark were the bases go, the project is coming along very smoothly with the help from a few 14-16 year old baseball players,” he said. The sound of “Play Ball” is going to have a different ring to it when minor baseball resumes in 2015 following the completion of renovations to Queen Elizabeth Park.The main park for the Nelson and District Baseball Association and L.V. Rogers Bombers Baseball is getting a complete overhaul of the diamond — a project that should have the park ready for play in the early spring.“We have removed about six inches from the top of the field and replaced it with better top soil,” said Larry Martel of the NDBA.“The sod was placed on the infield and around the outside of the diamond.  Crush shale that we’re bringing in from Cache Creek, will fill in the base paths, pitching mound and around home plate,” Martel added.Martel said the bulk of the $20,000 to complete the upgrades of Queen Elizabeth Park have come from provincial grants applied for during the past couple of years.last_img read more