Assessments and cleanup begin in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma

first_img T&T companies tap into Cuban market at Expo Caribe 2019 Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, September 9, 2017 – Providenciales – Right now there are still assessments being done in TCI by helicopter, by sea and even drone activity has been spotted by #MagneticMedia as we also survey the devastation in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma.The Premier, Sharlene Robinson along with Tourism Minister and MP, Ralph Higgs – we are told traveled to #NorthCaicos by boat and a report is ready.  Schools are currently being assessed according to Education Minister, Karen Malcolm who was en route to Clement Howell High which has sustained damages.One death, a woman said to have died from complications arising from hypertension is recorded during Irma.   The death was in Grand Turk we are told.   Reports of significant casualties and deaths are untrue.People are thankful for their lives after being slammed by catastrophic Hurricane Irma but the reality of what lies ahead in terms of rebuilding is admittedly a daunting feat.Minister of Home Affairs, Delroy Williams was in when we saw him spearheading the clearing of roadways along the coastline.   It is utter devastation for residents on Bay Road; roofs to many homes are gone, businesses like #Kalookies restaurant decimated; trees toppled, stretches of power poles fallen and debris everywhere.Hon Williams confirmed that communication is sporadic and some islands are completely cut off from giving updates.  “Everyone is activated…” and he sighed as he shared that regrettably every island has suffered extensive damage.Today clean up and rebuilding has started with the Provo landfill aka dumpsite already overrun with mounds of debris and bags of garbage. #Metoo-movement-type complaint, now investigation of high-ranking TCI Police Officer opened TCI: Man safe now, says he was trapped after lightning hit truck and it burst into flames Related Items:#BlueHills, #Kalookies, #NorthCaicos, magneticmedialast_img read more

At Google workers town hall employees pledge to protect each other from

first_imgGoogle workers staged a worldwide walkout last year. James Martin/CNET Google workers on Friday held a town hall meeting to discuss alleged retaliation from the search giant over employees’ activism and organizing efforts. The company’s employees booked rooms for viewing the town hall from Google offices all over the world, according to an employee who attended the meeting. At the gathering, Google workers pledged to protect each other from retaliation and brainstormed ideas to help. Some of that action could take place as soon as next week, that employee said.That employee also said it was the first big town hall meeting that Google’s temporary workers, vendors and contractors — known as TVCs in Google parlance — were able to attend, since the gathering was held by employees and not management.The meeting was called after two workers who helped to organize a massive employee walkout said management was unfairly targeting them. In November, roughly 20,000 Googlers walked out of the company’s offices worldwide to protest its handling of sexual assault allegations directed at key executives. The demonstration drew international attention. One organizer, Meredith Whittaker, who leads Google’s Open Research program, said earlier this week that she was asked to choose between Google and her outside work. Whittaker co-founded New York University’s AI Now Institute, a research center that examines the societal effects of artificial intelligence. Whittaker said Google asked her to give up that work after the company disbanded its own AI ethics board last month amid controversy over one of its members. Claire Stapleton, a marketing manager at Google-owned YouTube, said she was told after the walkout she’d be demoted and lose half of her reports. She said she was also told to go on medical leave even though she wasn’t sick. Google only walked back her demotion after she hired a lawyer, Stapleton said. “Meredith and Claire were bold and unwavering,” the employee who attended said. “The support was overwhelming and it looks like the company’s misguided gamble to cut off the ‘head’ of the organizing against harassment, discrimination and unethical decision-making won’t work.”Google employees have largely been the poster children for protest in the tech industry — a sector where rank and file workers have historically refrained from publicly criticizing management. Aside from the handling of sexual assault accusations, Google workers have also protested the company’s military contracts, its work in China, and its treatment of temporary workers and contractors. Outside of Google, other tech workers have also been speaking up. At Amazon, thousands of workers signed a letter earlier this month that urged the company to reduce its carbon footprint and take action against climate change.The town hall meeting comes a day after Google released its workplace policy guidelines, including its rules on retaliation. Retaliation means taking an adverse action against an employee or TVC as a consequence of reporting, for expressing an intent to report, for assisting another employee in an effort to report, for testifying or assisting in a proceeding involving sexual harassment under any federal, state or local anti-discrimination law, or for participating in the investigation of what they believe in good faith to be a possible violation of our Code of Conduct, Google policy or the law. The section concludes by warning employees that not all complaints may meet that definition.”If you report something that is not a policy violation and you believe you are being treated adversely as a result, you should feel free to report that and we will look into it, but it may not amount to retaliation under this policy,” the guidelines say.Google declined to comment on the town hall, but a spokeswoman said the company prohibits retaliation and has a “very clear policy.” “To make sure that no complaint raised goes unheard at Google, we give employees multiple channels to report concerns, including anonymously, and investigate all allegations of retaliation,” the spokeswoman said.    Post a comment Google employees protest tech giant’s handling of sexual… Share your voice 0 Google Alphabet Inc.center_img 1:45 Tags Tech Industry Now playing: Watch this:last_img read more

MasterCard sued for 19 billion in Britains biggest damages claim

first_imgSome 46 million people in Britain could potentially benefit from a legal case brought against MasterCard demanding 14 billion pounds ($19 billion) in damages for allegedly charging excessive fees, according to court documents filed in London.The case brought by a former chief financial services ombudsman alleges the payments company charged unlawfully high fees to stores when shoppers swiped their debit or credit cards and these were passed on to consumers in higher prices.MasterCard is alleged to have done this for 16 years between 1992 and 2008, in more than 600 pages of documents filed at the Competition Appeal Tribunal on Thursday. “This was almost an invisible tax,” Walter Merricks, who is bringing the case, told the BBC. “MasterCard has behaved disgracefully in this. They have not had the reasonableness to accept that what this was doing was damaging UK consumers.”MasterCard said in a statement it denied any wrongdoing.”We continue to firmly disagree with the basis of this claim and we intend to oppose it vigorously,” the world’s second-largest payments network said.The lawsuit comes after the European Union’s antitrust regulator found in 2014 MasterCard’s fees to store owners to process international payments within the EU were excessive.Law firm Quinn Emanuel said the lawsuit was the largest damages claim in British history and would be brought under a law meaning consumers would automatically be claimants unless they opt out.Any person living in Britain who used a credit card, cash or cheques and was over 16 years old in the period covered by the lawsuit will automatically be part of the claim. If the 14 billion pound claim was shared equally between the number of eligible claimants, each person could receive more than 300 pounds each, according to a Reuters’ calculation.Merricks in a statement said the case is a watershed moment for consumer compensation in Britain. Merricks was head of Britain’s financial services ombudsmen for ten years until 2009, helping to settle disputes between consumers and financial services companies.Britain’s banks have been caught in a range of misspelling cases in the last five years. They have paid 24 billion pounds in compensation for misspelling loan payment insurance, making it Britain’s costliest scandal in financial services.Consumers no longer living in Britain, but who lived in the country between 1992 and 2008, can opt in to the collective claim against MasterCard.Any hearing on the case is not expected until early 2018, unless MasterCard settle it out of court.last_img read more

Kim Darroch leak Trump scrapped Iran nuclear deal to spite Barack Obama

first_img IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/2:25Loaded: 0%0:01Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-2:24?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … Representative ImageReutersUS President Donald Trump’s decision to abandon the Iran nuclear deal in 2018 was to spite his predecessor Barack Obama, according to a leaked memo written by the UK ambassador to the United States.Kim Darroch claimed that Trump was guilty of “diplomatic vandalism” and abandoned the Iran deal due to “personality reasons” and hostility with Obama, reported Daily Mail citing the cache of leaked documents.Darroch also said that the former UK foreign minister, Boris Johnson, had appealed to the Trump administration last year to reconsider backing out of the international nuclear deal with Iran.The leaked papers revealed that the decision to abandon the crucial Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPA) also called the Iran nuclear deal, was disputed among the officials. Darroch also claimed that the White House did not have a “day-to-day” strategy regarding the aftermath of the withdrawal from the deal. Close Is Trump Destroying Obamas Foreign Policy Legacy? Darroch’s confidential memo, reported by Daily Mail last week, also contained the UK ambassador referring to the Trump administration as “clumsy and inept.”Trump slammed Darroch as “a very stupid guy” on Tuesday and said the White House would no longer deal with the UK ambassador. Darroch submitted his resignation a day later.The wacky Ambassador that the U.K. foisted upon the United States is not someone we are thrilled with, a very stupid guy. He should speak to his country, and Prime Minister May, about their failed Brexit negotiation, and not be upset with my criticism of how badly it was…— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 9, 2019The decision to step down was also due to Boris Johnson’s, the Tory frontrunner to become the next Prime Minister of UK, failure to support Darroch during Tuesday night’s leadership debate, a British official told CNN.A criminal investigation for the leaked documents was opened by the UK police. Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said the leaks caused damages to the UK’s bilateral relations with the US.FREEDOM OF PRESSNeil Basu’s claimed the leak as a criminal matter which is “the clear public interest in bringing the person or people responsible to justice.” Warnings issued by the UK police to journalists for facing prosecution if further leaks get published is said to have sparked furore over limiting press freedom.Such prosecution of journalists “would amount to an infringement on press freedom and have a chilling effect on public debate,” countered Boris Johnson on Saturday.Jeremy Hunt also criticised that UK police’s decision to curb press freedom and said he defends “to the hilt” the right to press freedom.These leaks damaged UK/US relations & cost a loyal ambassador his job so the person responsible MUST be held fully to account. But I defend to the hilt the right of the press to publish those leaks if they receive them & judge them to be in the public interest: that is their job— Jeremy Hunt (@Jeremy_Hunt) July 13, 2019The Director of Society of Editors, Ian Murray said that such cutbacks on press freedom give rise to totalitarianism, “I cannot think of a worse example of a heavy-handed approach by the police to attempt to curtail the role of the media as a defence against the powerful and those in authority,” reported The Guardian.However, former Defence Secretary Michael Fallon defended the Met police’s decision and said that curbing the publication of such confidential information violates the Official Secrets Act.”As soon as we find who did it, we should have them investigated and prosecuted,” Fallon said on BBC Radio. “We have press freedom … but we also have laws. We have the Official Secrets Act and it is important that law is upheld,” he added.last_img read more

Life saving drugs still a distant dream

first_imgThough, Union Health Minister JP Nadda has hailed the budget as balanced, progressive, pragmatic and pro-people, various stakeholders have raised their reservations over the budgetary allocation for the heath care sector. Talking to Millennium Post, JNU Professor Ritu Priya said: “The budget is not in the best interest of poor. The government had promised to provide at least 50 life saving drugs for free, which cannot be accomplished with this small amount of the Budget.” Also Read – Need to understand why law graduate’s natural choice is not legal profession: CJI“The Health Ministry had demanded a minimum Rs 50,000 crore from the Finance Ministry to expedite primary health care treatment plans for the poor. Now, how the Health Minister will fulfill those promises?” asked the NJU professor, who is associated with Centre for Social Medicine and Community Health (CSMCH) department. It’s worth mentioning that the Health Ministry and CSMCH work in tandem over policy formulations for public health care.Notably, the present allocation is Rs 2011 crore lesser than the last year’s final outlay which was Rs 35,163 crore after cutting down from the total Rs 39,237 crore announced in the Budget 2014-15. “I have allocated Rs 33,152 crore to the health sector. I urge states to utilise their enhanced resources effectively in these areas,” Jaitley said while presenting the Union Budget in the Lok Sabha.As an initiative to boost the public health sector in the country, the government has also decided to set up six new AIIMS-like institutes in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Assam and Bihar.last_img read more

Industry vet appointed as new Regional President of UNIGLOBE Travel Eastern Canada

first_img Share Posted by Thursday, October 25, 2018 Industry vet appointed as new Regional President of UNIGLOBE Travel (Eastern Canada) TORONTO — A former Air Canada Vacations executive has been announced as the new Regional President of the UNIGLOBE Eastern Canada Region, effective immediately.Dean Dacko, whose career includes five years as Director of Marketing for ACV, will be directly responsible for the continued growth and success of the region with a primary focus on new business development, brand marketing and building relations with all stakeholders, domestically and internationally.Prior to his new role, Dacko also spent nine years as Vice President of Travel Solutions for Carlson Marketing, and three years as Senior Vice President, Head of Marketing and Product for Malaysia Airlines, where he was responsible for the crisis management and business continuity programs during the twin tragedies of MH370 and MH17. He also served several other executive roles at Budget Rent a Car Canada, and Just Vacations Ltd.Most recently, he acted as Chief Commercial Officer of New Leaf Travel Company where he helped establish NewLeaf as the newest ultra low-cost airline in Canada, which was subsequently acquired by Flair Airlines.More news:  CIE Tours launches first-ever River Cruise CollectionDacko will be located at the UNIGLOBE Travel (Eastern Canada) headquarters in Mississauga and can be reached at ddacko@uniglobe.ca.center_img Tags: Air Canada Vacations, UNIGLOBE Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more