ST. LOUIS – The three largest Internet companies have agreed to pay a combined $31.5 million to settle federal civil allegations that they took ads for illegal gambling, federal officials said Wednesday. Microsoft Corp., Yahoo Inc. and Google Inc. also agreed to stop accepting ads for sports wagering and other online gambling, said Catherine Hanaway, the U.S. Attorney for eastern Missouri. “This is a very profitable business that had a lot of money to spend on marketing,” Hanaway said of the online gambling firms advertising on the Web. All three companies said they stopped taking the ads years ago. The U.S. Attorney’s Office here has led in the effort to halt illegal Web-based gambling, which is roughly a $6-billion-a-year industry, in the U.S. that violates the Federal Wire Wager Act among other federal laws. Earlier this year, the London-based Internet gambling firm BetOnSports PLC pleaded guilty in St. Louis to federal racketeering charges.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champMicrosoft’s $21 million portion of the settlement includes a $4.5 million forfeiture, $7.5 million to be paid to the International Center for Missing and Exploited Children and $9 million in public service ads over a three-year period starting next year. The public service campaign will be aimed at informing users, especially those of college age and younger, that online gambling is illegal. Yahoo’s $7.5 million share of the settlement includes a $3 million forfeiture and $4.5 million in public service ads over three years. Google is to pay $3 million, less than half its average daily profit of $11 million. “While we did not admit any wrongdoing, the Department of Justice has advised that online gambling is illegal in the United States and ads to promote it are improper,” Google spokesman Jon Murchinson said in a statement.
Impressed with the Indian women’s football team’s performance in the COTIF Cup in Valencia, the tournament’s president handed the players a special third-placed trophy.India played four matches in the COTIF Cup, out of which they won two (3-1 against Mauritania and 7-0 against Bolivia) and lost as many (0-2 against both Villarreal and Spain U-19).This is the team’s best finish in the tournament, and it also won the Fair Play award.”Our performances were much better this time, and the organisers of the tournament took note of that,” said India head coach Maymol Rocky.”Even the two matches that we lost against Villarreal and Spain were close encounters, and they really appreciated the improvement we’ve shown in the last one year.”The improvement in performances since the 2018 edition impressed COTIF president Eliseu Gmez Tormos so much that he ended up doing something that was never done before.”The organisation has valued the immense progress made by the Indian women’s team over the last year. They have been a combative side with a warrior spirit that has made the fans here at COTIF fall in love with them,” said Tormos.”For all this, we have given them the prize for the national team that has behaved in the most sporting manner in the event, and I hope that they can come back here next year and repeat their performance once again in 2020. For all that India has offered us, and for being a revelation this year, I would like to thank them,” he stated.advertisementThe COTIF president also congratulated the Indian coach personally after the tournament.”We were awarded the fair play trophy, but there was no specific prize for the third-placed teams. However, the day after the last match, the local organisers presented us with a trophy, and the COTIF President also came over to congratulate us on the massive improvement we have shown,” Rocky said.Also Read | Want to see Sunil Chhetri leading India in FIFA World Cup: Virat KohliAlso Read | FIFA asks for update on Indian football roadmap, AIFF says solution in 2-3 yrsAlso See
WILMINGTON, MA — Hair Cuttery, the largest family-owned and operated chain of hair salons in the country, will be will be donating back-to-school haircuts to children who need it most this summer. From August 1-15, for every child up to age 18 who purchases a haircut at one of Hair Cuttery’s nearly 900 salons, one free haircut certificate will be donated to an underprivileged child in the community.“A fresh haircut to celebrate a milestone is something that can easily be taken for granted,” said Dennis Ratner, Founder and CEO of Hair Cuttery. “Through our Share-A-Haircut program, we strive to provide every child with this simple but impactful service that will help send them back to school with confidence and enthusiasm to kick-off the year.”Within the first two weeks of August, Hair Cuttery is aiming to donate tens of thousands of free haircut certificates ahead of the new school year. Certificates will be distributed with the help of more than 200 local government and non-profit organizations in communities across the country.Participating locations include the salon in Wilmington, 206 Ballardvale St., Unit 3.Since 1999, the Share-A-Haircut program has donated more than 2.4 million free haircut certificates valued at nearly $50 million.2018 marks the 19th year of Share-A-Haircut, with Hair Cuttery’s most recent campaign donating more than 80,000 haircuts to survivors of domestic violence this past spring. The company has an established history of charitable giving and has supported a range of local and national causes, including St. Baldrick’s Foundation, American Red Cross, The National Network to End Domestic Violence, American Cancer Society and Girls on the Run.About Hair CutteryHair Cuttery is the largest family-owned and operated chain of hair salons in the country, with nearly 900 company-owned locations on the East Coast, New England and the Midwest. A full-service, value-priced salon, Hair Cuttery offers a full complement of cuts and styling, coloring, waxing and texturizing services with no appointment necessary, as well as a full line of professional hair care products. Hair Cuttery is committed to delivering a delightful client experience through WOW Service including a Smile Back Guarantee. Hair Cuttery is a division of Ratner Companies, based in Vienna, VA.(NOTE: The above press release is from Hair Cuttery.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedHair Cuttery Donates Back-to-School Haircuts To Thousands Of Children In NeedIn “Business”Wilmington’s Hair Cuttery Donates Back-To-School Haircuts To Local Kids In NeedIn “Business”Hair Cuttery Donates More Than 61,000 Haircuts to Children in Need NationwideIn “Business”
Kolkata: Making the city clean and green will be the main thrust of Kolkata Municipal Corporation under the new Mayor Firhad Hakim.Clearing accumulated water in shorter times and supply of drinking water to some dry pockets that still exist in the city, will also be given priority. As the state Urban Development and Municipal Affairs minister, Hakim has taken several steps to implement Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s mission of “Clean and Green City.” Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeReplacing the old garbage vats in Kolkata and the districts, modern compactors have been installed. The Municipal Affairs department has given funds to all the civic bodies in the state to install them. Comprehensive plans have been undertaken to clean the religious places of Tarakeshwar and Tarapith and to do the same, development boards have been set up. Over a decade ago, vast areas surrounding Tarakeshwar and Tarapith temples were full of dirt and filth. The devotees used to throw flowers and the pond behind the Tarakeshwar Temple was not cleaned for several decades. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedBecause of Hakim’s efforts, the surrounding areas of the temples have now been given a new look. Hakim’s biggest achievement as the Urban Development minister is New Town. When the Left Front government left Bengal in 2011, nobody thought that an Eco Park, now a star tourist attraction, could be built in the city. The entire New Town area used to look like a desert. Hakim, with the help of his finest officers, has been able to change the scenario and now New Town is one of the best planned townships in the country, with all modern facilities in place. Several steps have been taken to curb pollution in the area and battery-operated public buses and cycle-sharing schemes have been introduced for the same. There are pockets in Kolkata, particularly in Tollygunge and Jadavpur, where drinking water scarcity still persists. Hakim has decided to address the problem and it is hoped that the issue will be a matter of the past soon. Though waterlogging is no longer a major issue in Kolkata as the time taken by the accumulated water to recede has come down significantly. The old waterlogging pockets like Amherst Street, vast areas surrounding Rabindra Sadan and Akashbani Bhavan do not exist now. But there are pockets like Silpara, Sarsuna and Behala where the problem of waterlogging is still a major issue. Civic officials feel that Hakim, being a hard taskmaster, will expedite the work to complete the unfinished projects.
Friday, January 13, 2017 Travelweek Group Agents can earn 25,000 points with Carlson Rezidor’s Look to Book << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Tags: Agent Incentives, Promotions NEW YORK — Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its Look to Book loyalty rewards program for agents with new offers.Look to Book enables real time messaging with members in the GDS, so agents can easily track point balances on the website and check out detailed booking information to build relationships with various hotels. Membership is open to all professional travel agents in 32 eligible countries; agents must join the program to earn Look to Book points.Look to Book rewards agents with 10 points per US$1 with points redeemable for stays at hotels around the world, gift cards, airlines miles and more.Special 25th anniversary points include:Registering and booking hotel stays during the ‘Earn Up To 25,000 Points’ promotion period of Jan. 17 through March 31, 2017. Learn more at looktobook.vts0.com/Bonus25K.Taking the ‘25 Years of Look To Book’ quiz on looktobook.com, earning up to 1,000 pointsBookmarking the Look To Book 25th anniversary page at looktobook.com/25years for additional bonus point opportunities throughout the coming yearMore news: Le Boat has EBBs along with its new 2020 brochure“Travel agents are vital to the success of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group,” said Heidi Veire, Director, Global Business to Business Loyalty for Carlson Rezidor. “We look forward to celebrating the 25th anniversary and showing appreciation for our members’ commitment by offering special anniversary programming throughout the year with the opportunity to earn bonus points and prizes.” Posted by
Travelweek Group Wednesday, June 5, 2019 TORONTO — Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts and San Francisco Investments have announced plans to open a luxury hotel and private residences in Cartagena, marking the third Four Seasons in Colombia.Located on the doorstep of Cartagena’s historic walled city, Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Cartagena will feature 131 rooms, including a Royal Suite and a Presidential Suite boasting 390 square metres and 325 square metres of living area, respectively.The hotel will also include approximately 16 private residences, 16,000 square feet of meeting and event space, six food and beverage concepts with both indoor and terrace dining, a spa and fitness centre as well as a rooftop pool with views of Cartagena Bay.In addition, several culturally significant buildings, such as the Cloister of Saint Francis, the Club Cartagena, and four renowned theatres, Teatro Cartagena, Teatro Calamarí, Teatro Bucanero and Teatro Rialto will be revitalized and restored by Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Cartagena.More news: Universal enhances popular Harry Potter vacation package with new perksAs part of its investment, Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Cartagena will revitalize and restore several culturally significant buildings dating as far back as the 16th century, including the Cloister of Saint Francis, the Club Cartagena, and four renowned theatres.“This new Hotel and Private Residences is the perfect project for us to expand our presence in South America, providing us with the rare opportunity to convert such an exceptional collection of historic buildings within a marquee location in one of the region’s most alluring cities,” says Bart Carnahan, Executive Vice President, Global Business Development and Portfolio Management, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. “Together with our partners at Valorem, we look forward to bringing the very best in luxury hospitality to Cartagena.” Posted by Four Seasons Hotels to open third location in Colombia Tags: Colombia, Four Seasons Share << Previous PostNext Post >>