(Screen grab of search warrant affidavit to examining cell phones seized during Aug. 11 arrest of 3 Chinese nationals)Jorge Barrera APTN National NewsU.S. federal authorities are trying to dismantle a smuggling network moving Chinese nationals from Toronto to New York City through the Mohawk community of Akwesasne which straddles the Canada-U.S. border, court documents show.The smuggling network advertises its services by publishing ads in Chinese-language newspapers sold in the Toronto-area. The ads include the phone number of a broker who sets up the smuggling run, according to court documents filed with the U.S. Federal Court Northern New York District.Akwesasne, a Mohawk community straddling the Ontario, Quebec and New York State borders, is often used by networks trying to smuggle people from Canada into the U.S.The geographic location of Akwesasne, with a portion of the St. Lawrence River running through it, makes it an attractive area to attempt runs across the border. It is possible to take a boat from the northern shore of the St. Lawrence River to the southern shore of the St. Regis Village or Snye areas of Akwesasne and then walk across unguarded portions of the international boundary into the U.S.U.S. authorities have recently turned their attention to a network smuggling Chinese nationals from Toronto to New York City.The U.S. Border Patrol filed three search warrant affidavits last Thursday with the Federal Court to conduct forensic examinations of cell phones and a GPS device seized during the Aug. 11 arrest of three Chinese nationals who were on U.S. soil illegally. The three individuals were in a 2013 white Honda Pilot SUV with New York State plates that was stopped by the U.S. Border Patrol shortly after it left the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino.Court documents show U.S. Border Patrol investigators are trying to dismantle the Chinese smuggling network through leads unearthed by examining the seized cells phones and GPS device.Investigators are currently focusing on a Chinese national named Wanxiang Chen, the driver of the SUV, who admitted to authorities he had successfully transported seven people in three previous trips from Akwesasne to New York City, according to court documents.Chen, who lives between the Brooklyn and Queens boroughs of the city, was also found by authorities to be residing in the U.S. illegally.A U.S. Federal Court judge has ordered Chen’s two passengers, Lili Cai and Kang Shen Shi, to appear as material witnesses against Chen during trial.Cai and Shi’s immigration status in Canada remains unclear.U.S. Border Patrol investigators turned their sights on Chen after obtaining information following a raid of a home in Akwesasne in July and from the cooperation of an individual facing alien smuggling charges. Investigators were tipped off to a smuggling operation involving Chinese nationals set for July 27. This eventually led them to Chen’s Honda SUV, according to court documents.When Chen returned on Aug. 11, Border Patrol agents were ready.Court documents reviewed by APTN formed a partial snapshot of how the smuggling operation worked and it began with the newspaper ad.Cai told investigators that she phoned the number in the newspaper ad. The man who answered the phone set up the operation and arranged transport from the Toronto area to a marina on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River. The trip would cost Cai $8,000.Cai told investigators she was transported across the river, but the documents provided no details on how she ended up at the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino, which sits on the U.S. side of the community, where she was eventually picked-up by Chen.Previous human smuggling cases, however, revealed that smuggled individuals are usually hidden in a home in the community after they are taken by boat across the river. They are then spirited to a spot on the outskirts of the reserve for the final leg of the trip to New York City or other points. In one case last year, an Akwesasne resident bought bus tickets for two Chinese nationals for the trip to New York City.After Cai phoned the number in the newspaper, a man from a “travel agency” in New York City contacted Chen to travel to the casino for the pick-up. It would be his fourth trip. Chen told authorities he was paid $900 cash for each trip by a man who handed the money over on a street corner in the city.This time, however, Border Patrol agents were watching as he drove his SUV into the parking lot of the casino and through the valet parking area near the entrance to pick up Cai and Shi. The SUV left the casino at 12:56 p.m. It was tracked and pulled-over at 1:06 p.m. on State Route 37 as Chen and his occupants travelled through Fort Covington, NY.Chen, who is in custody, is scheduled for trial which is scheduled to begin Nov. 9 in Syracuse, NY.None of the allegations contained in the court documents have been proven in firstname.lastname@example.org@JorgeBarrera
Ali, a former managing editor of Silicon Alley Reporter and reporter on Inside.com, did not immediately return a request seeking comment. Managing editor Ernie Sander is expected to take on added responsibilities in Ali’s absence.After launching the company with paidContent in 2002, Ali added a number of events as well as paidContent:UK, mobile-focused mocoNews.net, and contentSutra.com, which covers India’s digital content market. Guardian reportedly paid about $6 million for ContentNext.“I am leaving the company while the editorial is still at the peak of its reputation, even though we are half the teams we used to be,” Ali writes.In the note, Ali says his future beyond ContentNext is unclear. “Very likely it will be another startup, in a larger media and marketing space.” Nearly two years after selling the company to U.K.-based Guardian News, Rafat Ali Friday said he is stepping down as founder and editor of ContentNext Media Inc., publisher of digital media news site paidContent.org.In a note posted to the paidContent site, Ali—who founded the company eight years ago—says his departure will be effective in early July. He will stay on as an advisor through the end of the year.“For most of you who know me, this isn’t coming as a huge surprise,” Ali [pictured] writes. “I have been wrestling with this for months now, and the two-year mark under the Guardian and the eight-year mark since I lunched the first site, seems appropriate enough as a closure point.”
Dear Editor,I am opposed to the elimination of any train stops. The tax payers of Wilmington pay the MBTA $518,000 per year to have the two train stations in Wilmington. I believe the people of Wilmington deserve full service at both stops. The train in North Wilmington does not have to block the road known as Rte. 62 / Middlesex Avenue. This was absolutely shown when I took the train from Lawrence to North Wilmington and asked to get off the first car so the train did not block the road. A further indication of this can easily be explained by simply understanding that the same train leaves North Station to come to North Wilmington and clears the road to let passengers off. We need to work to make the lives of Wilmington residents easier and more convenient. People who need to get toward and to Boston for work or an appointment to see a doctor deserve all stops to remain at North Wilmington.My advice and proposal to Wilmington officials is to position public safety vehicles on the other side of the tracks ahead of the scheduled stops. I also wanted to add that a garage bay at the D.P.W. and Brown’s Crossing locations could be designated for an emergency vehicle without the need for an expensive substation construction project.With regard to the proposed detox site at 362 Middlesex Avenue, I believe the State should take this property by eminent domain for the purpose of building a train station with senior housing above it and an eatery/cafe. Seniors and commuters can have a place to dine while waiting to take the train.The opioid problem is a State problem that needs a State solution. Many cities and towns are in the process of suing the opioid manufacturers. I believe it would be a beautiful thing to see a settlement with the opioid manufacturers that included giving us a state of the art treatment and recovery center on the grounds of the Tewksbury State Hospital. The State’s opioid addiction problem solution: funded by those who are alleged to have known that the opioids were addictive and sold them anyway.Unfortunately, our Selectmen have failed to negotiate with the owner’s of 362 Middlesex Avenue for an alternative development that eliminated the detox facility. We now have a law suit filed against the Town of Wilmington that could have been averted. It is time for the community to unite for truth and unite for change. It is also time to eliminate conflict of interest on the Board of Selectmen by electing new members who will fight on behalf of the community. Solutions are needed that improve people’s lives.Sincerely,Kevin MacDonaldCandidate for the Board of SelectmenLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedLETTER TO THE EDITOR: Selectman Candidate Kevin MacDonald Says Town Should Hire A Grant WriterIn “Letter To The Editor”SELECTMEN NEWS: Town Comes Up With Fix For North Wilmington Commuter Rail StationIn “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Grapples With Whether To Eliminate 5 Daily Stops At N. Wilmington Commuter Rail StationIn “Government”
Trust Kapil Sharma to entertain the audience with some witty and humorous jibes at his own team and the comedian-turned-actor never disappoints. The show, which has been running at a steady pace, being immensely loved by the audience, had another one of the insanely hilarious episodes last week.Kapil doesn’t leave any stone unturned when it comes to pulling the celebrity guest, Archana Puran Singh’s legs. In one such instance of the comedian teasing Singh, Kapil said that Archana Puran Singh is probably more scared of Navjot Singh Sidhu than ghosts. Archana Puran Singh had replaced Navjot Singh Sidhu after the latter’s comments on the Pulwama attack hadn’t gone down well with netizens and many political figures. Talking about her equation with the entire team, Archana Puran Singh had revealed that the team respects her a lot and even though they crack jokes or go beyond the script in pulling her leg, they immediately come to her to apologise and hug her.Sidhu’s comments hadn’t gone down well with the makers of the show and Twitterati demanded his immediate ouster from the show. There were reports of Salman Khan asking him to take a break from the show for a brief period so that the negative publicity could die down.In an interview with Hindustan Times, Archana Puran Singh had spoken up about how different she is from the man in question. Talking about Sidhu, she said: “We are two very different individuals. He has earned a name for himself and so have I. Our personalities are very different and both of us are happy in our own space. It’s just a coincidence that I am here and he is not and it goes on like that in our industry.”Navjot Singh Sidhu is yet to come back to the show.
Lightning strikeA one-year old boy was killed after being hit by a bang caused by thunderbolt in Baluigasa village of Satkhira’s Sadar upazila on Saturday.The deceased was Bilal Hossain, son of Md Ibrahim Hossain Khokon of the village.Officer-in-charge of Sadar police station Maruf Ahmed said that the child died on the way to a nearby hospital after he had fallen sick hearing the sound of the lightning strike.
Friday, January 13, 2017 Travelweek Group Agents can earn 25,000 points with Carlson Rezidor’s Look to Book << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Tags: Agent Incentives, Promotions NEW YORK — Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its Look to Book loyalty rewards program for agents with new offers.Look to Book enables real time messaging with members in the GDS, so agents can easily track point balances on the website and check out detailed booking information to build relationships with various hotels. Membership is open to all professional travel agents in 32 eligible countries; agents must join the program to earn Look to Book points.Look to Book rewards agents with 10 points per US$1 with points redeemable for stays at hotels around the world, gift cards, airlines miles and more.Special 25th anniversary points include:Registering and booking hotel stays during the ‘Earn Up To 25,000 Points’ promotion period of Jan. 17 through March 31, 2017. Learn more at looktobook.vts0.com/Bonus25K.Taking the ‘25 Years of Look To Book’ quiz on looktobook.com, earning up to 1,000 pointsBookmarking the Look To Book 25th anniversary page at looktobook.com/25years for additional bonus point opportunities throughout the coming yearMore news: Le Boat has EBBs along with its new 2020 brochure“Travel agents are vital to the success of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group,” said Heidi Veire, Director, Global Business to Business Loyalty for Carlson Rezidor. “We look forward to celebrating the 25th anniversary and showing appreciation for our members’ commitment by offering special anniversary programming throughout the year with the opportunity to earn bonus points and prizes.” Posted by
Mobile TV and video-on-demand technology specialist MobiTV has launched a licensable network DVR solution.The solution, available to cable operators and telcos, had previously been available only as part of an end-to-end multiscreen platform.MobiTV said the solution means operators can avoid costly set-top deployment by using a “thin” box requiring an internet connection and HDMI interface. Customers can theoretically record an unlimited number of programmes in the cloud and watch it anywhere on various connected devices.“Rights management has long been a difficult process for service operators to navigate on an international scale,” said MobiTV CEO Charlie Nooney. “The MobiTV nDVR removes barriers for operators and provides the solution for a true TV Everywhere experience.”
Access and Alcatel-Lucent are to use IBC to demo an innovation developed jointly with Alcatel-Lucent which enables operators to deliver a unified TV experience through the cloud, including content sharing across all devices via a centralised HTML5 remote user interface, according to the pair. The proof-of-concept solution is based on the DLNA Premium Video Guidelines and can be extended to any device, including tablets and smartphones, according to the companies.The IBC demo follows the integration of Access’s NetFront Living Connect DLNA-based media sharing and MediaPilot client solutions with Alcatel-Lucent’s Velocix CDN technology.Paul Larbey, vice-president and general manager of Alcatel-Lucent’s IP Video business, said: “Our industry leading CDN solution, Velocix, solves the issue of getting content into the home with the highest quality. By combining our content delivery technology with Access’s media sharing solutions, service providers can offer consumers access to content on more devices without the need for complex infrastructure changes. This is crucial given the continued explosion of consumer uptake of multiple devices in the home.” Access will exhibit at IBC on stand 14.101 and Alcatel-Lucent will exhibit on MS42a
at800, the body set up to test for interference from 4G networks on digital-terrestrial broadcasting in the UK, has appointed Nokia Siemens Networks’ former head of global head of press relations, Ben Roome, as its new CEO.Roome will succeed current boss Simon Beresford-Wylie effective of November 30, 2013. He has been a member of at800’s management team since the company’s launch in March this year, and is being promoted from his current role of director of marketing and communications.