“[Health officials] didn’t know before Friday night that there were 31 deaths,” Legault told reporters on Monday. “We knew that there were a few deaths, but surely not 31.”Only five deaths are confirmed to have been caused by COVID-19, with the rest under investigation.Legault blamed the situation on “major negligence” over the weekend and said the facility’s management had not cooperated when authorities first tried to probe reports of problems.”I think that what happened in the month of March was that suddenly many of their residents got the COVID-19, many of the employees decided to leave,” he said. The Quebec government on Monday said it was putting the safety and general conditions of the province’s 2,600 long-term care and nursing home facilities under the microscope following the deaths of 31 people in a single home for the elderly since March 13.Police and the coroner’s office are investigating the deaths at the Residence Herron, a 139-unit home in Montreal, which has been put under provincial control.Quebec Premier François Legault said health officials had only been informed that the nursing home had a shortage of staff, but not that dozens of residents had died. Topics : The residence is located on Montreal’s West Island and is owned and operated by Katasa Group, which owns six other retirement homes. The home charges up to C$10,000 a month for each resident, according to the Montreal Gazette.The private nursing home touts itself as having “an enviable reputation in the field of residences for retirees in need of special care,” according to its website. The Katasa Group was not immediately available for comment.Legault said three investigations are underway into the home, with issues previously raised in government reports in 2019 and 2017.He said staff shortages in Quebec’s long-term care facilities had been a problem before the coronavirus crisis, adding that the government planned to deploy more medical staff to help out with long-term care facilities in the province.Quebec has offered temporary bonuses, including 8% raises for workers who are in direct contact with patients, and an increase in hourly wages for private home orderlies.More than half the total deaths from coronavirus in Canada have occurred in Quebec, the second most populous of 10 provinces.About 60% of Quebec deaths have been in either seniors’ homes or long-term care facilities and a quarter of the province’s nursing homes have at least one confirmed case, according to provincial data.
A Norwegian lawmaker has nominated Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize for 2021 for helping broker a deal between Israel and the United Arab Emirates, the second time he has put forward the US president for the honor.Thousands of people are eligible to nominate candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize, including members of parliaments and governments, university professors and past laureates.The Norwegian Nobel Committee, which decides on the award, declined to comment. Topics : “It is for his contribution for peace between Israel and the UAE. It is a unique deal,” Christian Tybring-Gjedde, a member of parliament for the right-wing Progress Party, told Reuters.Tybring-Gjedde, who nominated Trump for the 2019 award for his diplomatic efforts with North Korea, said he also nominated him this year because of the US troop withdrawal from Iraq.Last year Trump said he deserved to be awarded the Peace Prize for his work on North Korea and Syria, but he complained he probably would never get the honor. Former President Barack Obama, a nemesis of Trump, won the prize in 2009 just months into his first term in office.Nominations for this year’s award closed on Jan. 31 and the winner will be announced on Oct. 9 in Oslo.
Video Settings About Connatix V67539 Top articles Monchi explained his decision to return to Sevilla at a press conference on Monday (Getty)Arsenal could appoint from within and current head of international recruitment, Francis Cagigao, is the frontrunner among the internal options.Speaking about Arsenal’s offer, Monchi said: ‘I thank Arsenal for their interest. It has been the club that has shown the most interest in me but, in the end, I evaluated all of the offers I had on the table and I chose the one that convinced me most.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal by Metro Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Coming Next How Arsenal chiefs reacted to Monchi snub as they start making summer transfer plans Full Screen 1/1 Read More PLAY The sporting director decided to return to old club Sevilla (Picture: AP)Arsenal’s board are not worried about Monchi’s decision to turn them down, with their summer transfer plans already well advanced despite the absence of a sporting director.The 50-year-old Spaniard had been in talks with Arsenal over a move to north London, where he would have been reunited with Unai Emery, but opted to return ‘home’ to Sevilla instead.Monchi had been the Gunners’ top target to fill the void left by Sven Mislintat, but the Evening Standard report the club are in no rush to find someone else. / Read More Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 19 Mar 2019 12:02 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link241Shares Read More Advertisement In fact, it is claimed that Arsenal’s already established plans were part of the reason why Monchi turned them down, preferring a clean slate and free reign at Sevilla.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityHe also would have had a very limited budget to work with, with Arsenal only able to spend £40million if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.There is likely to be little money made from player sales either, with the likes of Petr Cech, Danny Welbeck and Aaron Ramsey all leaving for nothing when their contracts expire. Skip Advertisement Read More Emery’s top target is a centre-back but he’ll only have £40m to spend (Picture: Getty)Arsenal chiefs are described as ‘disappointed but relaxed’ about the snub and have already identified the areas of the squad that need strengthening – and potential targets.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Manchester United captain Harry Maguire 1 min. story Skip Ad Read More Comment SPONSORED
Ireland’s regulator has said pension funds should be subject to new minimum standards before they are launched, as it unveiled a consultation paper recommending a “rationalisation” of the number of active schemes.The consultation paper, which the Pensions Authority said earlier this year would form the basis of a submission to the government on the country’s future regulatory architecture, also proposed stricter standards for trustees and providing fund members with better information about their savings.Launching the paper, minister for social protection Leo Varadkar said the proposals to simplify pensions were vital “to successfully deliver a universal supplementary pension system”, a reform long promised but yet to be delivered.Varadkar said the universal system was an “essential objective” for his department, which has been working on proposals since the Universal Retirement Savings Group was launched by his predecessor in February last year. The Authority’s paper spoke of the need for authorisation of any future scheme launch, with the process examining a fund’s governance, administration and financial set-up.The paper said the arrangement would allow the Authority to “perform a gatekeeper role”, ensuring new schemes could provide good outcomes for members.It also proposed enhanced standards for trustees in line with the revised IORP Directive and warned that academic qualifications would not always be sufficient.Instead, it urged that any fund have at least two trustees, with one possessing the required academic experience and the other having served as a trustee for a set period of time.On consolidation, the Authority recommended that any master trust launched in the market be subject to a number of additional requirements – including minimum capitalisation, independent trustees and policies on asset management charges.David Begg, chairman of the Authority, said there was a “serious concern” about the efficiency of the Irish defined contribution (DC) market, which informed the proposals put forward.“It is the Authority’s view that changes to the current system are needed to address the existing shortcomings so pension savers better understand their pensions and the decisions they need to make, and achieve better value for money,” he said. “The objective of such changes is to create a pension system fit for purpose and underpinned by good governance principles.”The head of the Authority, Brendan Kennedy, has long spoken of the potential benefit of discouraging small-scale DC schemes, and questioned whether a market the size of Ireland required any more than 100 schemes. The consultation closes on 3 October.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesLink to the Pensions Authority’s consultation
Promoted Content8 Best Movies On Amazon Prime Video To Stream Right Now10 Gorgeous Bollywood Divas Who Earn A Lot6 Of The Best 90s Shows That Need To Come Back ASAP7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too Much9 Movie Scenes That Got Re-Shot And Saved The Whole Movie7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black Holes6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Insane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hoot FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Read Also: Coronavirus: CAF postpones 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers indefinitelyCameroon qualified automatically for the 16-nation tournament and the other title contenders include defending champions Morocco.Meanwhile, a two-day conference scheduled for March 17-18 in Durban that would have highlighted the African football industry has been postponed because of the coronavirus.FIFA secretary general Fatma Samoura had been invited to give the keynote speech at an event the organisers now hope to stage in July or August. Loading… CAF medical experts will assess this weekend the measures hosts Cameroon have taken to combat the coronavirus pandemic ahead of the African Nations Championship (CHAN).A man wears a mask outside Yaounde General Hospital in Cameroon this weekThe central African country is scheduled to stage from April 4 to 25 the biennial competition for footballers playing in their country of birth.Cameroon reported two cases of the deadly COVID-19, which has shredded sport schedules across the globe.On Friday, CAF postponed indefinitely two rounds of 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, set for March 25 to 31.Regarding the CHAN, a CAF statement said the delegation “would assess the preventive measures taken by the local organising committee”.Matches are due to be played in the capital, Yaounde, at two stadiums in second city Douala, and seaside city Limbe.
The 7th Grade Lady Bulldogs dropped their first game of the season to JCD 35-13.Leading the way scoring was Kaylin Hinners with 6 points; followed by Billie Puente with 2 points; Elena Kuisel with 2 points; Alyssa Nobbe with 2 points; and Renee Lecher with 1 point.The girls drop to 2-1 on the season, and will look to get back to their winning ways at South Dearborn on Monday.Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Chris Weiler.The 8th Grade Batesville Lady Bulldogs ran their seasonal record to 3 – 0 with a 33-13 victory over the Jac-Cen-Del Lady Eagles.After a tight first quarter which saw the Lady Bulldogs holding a 7 – 6 lead, the Lady Bulldogs used a strong 11-3 second quarter to help put the game away. Again their team defensive effort was the deciding factor in the victory as it lead to creating offense.Offensively the Lady Bulldogs were lead by Makayla Granger with 11 points. Other scorers for the Lady Bulldogs were Emma Weiler with 8, Ava Hanson added 4, and Lizzy Nobbe, Tiffany Hawker, Cora Deputy, Madelyn Pohlman, and Ella Wilhelm each had 2.The Lady Eagles were lead in scoring by Lexus Jones with 4 points. Also scoring for the Lady Eagles were Regan Richter and Megan Weber each with 4, Cassidy Harmeyer added 2, and Olivia Neal tallied 1.The both teams return to action on Monday. The Lady Bulldogs will travel to South Dearborn to battle the Lady Squires, and the Lady Eagles will host the Switzerland County Lady Pacers.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Jack Smith.
The FDA is advising consumers not to use any hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico, due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. FDA has identified the following products manufactured by Eskbiochem:All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek immediate treatment, which is critical for the potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning. Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death. Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidentally ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning.On June 17, 2020, FDA contacted Eskbiochem to recommend the company remove its hand sanitizer products from the market due to the risks associated with methanol poisoning. To date, the company has not taken action to remove these potentially dangerous products from the market. Therefore, FDA recommends consumers stop using these hand sanitizers and dispose of them immediately in appropriate hazardous waste containers. Do not flush or pour these products down the drain.FDA reminds consumers to wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing, or blowing one’s nose. If soap and water are not readily available, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend consumers use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent ethanol.FDA remains vigilant and will continue to take action when quality issues arise with hand sanitizers. Additionally, the agency is concerned with false and misleading claims for hand sanitizers, for example that they can provide prolonged protection such as 24-hours against viruses including COVID-19, since there is no evidence to support these claims.To date, FDA is not aware of any reports of adverse events associated with these hand sanitizer products. FDA encourages health care professionals, consumers and patients to report adverse events or quality problems experienced with the use of hand sanitizers to FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program:Complete and submit the report online; orDownload and complete the form, then submit it via fax at 1-800-FDA-0178.
Richard Hannon’s colt ran a blinder in the French equivalent, hitting the front inside the final furlong before eventually being run out of it into fifth. However, he made up plenty of ground at Longchamp and connections are dreaming of claiming a Classic double this weekend, with Just The Judge running in the same colours in the 1000 Guineas. Jamie Spencer is likely to adopt different tactics on Havana Gold in Saturday’s Tattersalls Irish 2000 Guineas at the Curragh. “Havana Gold should be right in the mix,” said David Redvers, racing manager to owner Sheikh Fahad Al Thani. “He simply hit the front too early in the French Guineas and pulled himself up in front. “This time he’ll be ridden differently, probably in typical Jamie Spencer fashion, in the aim of putting his head in front right on the line.” First Cornerstone is set to make his seasonal bow in the Classic after a bad scope forced him to miss an intended run earlier. Press Association
The Latest: Watford trio dropped over players’ party report June 28, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Watford players Andre Gray, Nathaniel Chalobah and Domingos Quina were left out of the squad for the team’s Premier League game against Southampton on Sunday. Associated Press A post on the club’s Twitter account said all three players were omitted by manager Nigel Pearson “to ensure the health and safety of all players, staff and officials at today’s game”.A newspaper report claimed striker Gray had hosted a party at his house for around 20 people on Friday.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Smith, batsmen give Champs 263 run leadPACER Niall Smith bagged 3 quick wickets to complement the series of half-centuries from his teammates as Guyana Jaguars kept a firm grip on things, heading into day 3 versus the Leeward Hurricanes at the Sir Viv Richards Ground, Antigua.Hurricanes were wobbling at 123 for 5 following the close of play on day two, trailing the Jaguars by 299 runs. Jahmar Hamilton (23*) and Jaques Taylor (11*) will resume the chase when play resumes on the penultimate day.The Debutant Smith, who earned his 4-Day cap a few days ago, ripped through the top-order with his pace to finish with 3-29 from 12 overs. Opener Kieran Powell hit 34 while Montcin Hodge and Devon Thomas each had 13.Guyana Jaguars racked up and imposing 388 all out in their first innings thanks to a quartet of half-century contributions from their premier batsmen.All-rounder Chris Barnwell missed a century but played well for his top-score of 82 with 9 fours and a six. Opener Tagenarine Chanderpaul grafted 60 while partner Chandrapaul Hemraj weighed in with 52.Jaguars skipper Leon Johnson stroked 59 but not before a lower-order assault from all-rounder Raymon Reifer (47) and Devendra Bishoo (40) almost took them to 400.Spinner Damion Jacobs was the most successful bowler for the Hurricanes with returns of 4-82. Kacey Carthy and Quinton Boatswain grabbed 2 wickets apiece.Day is action continues at 13:00hrs.