Disciplinary actions cannot be “fast-tracked” on fate of doctors – Medical Council

first_imgDeaths of 3 leukemia patientsSix months have passed since three particular children died at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC), but no sanction has been imposed on those culpable for their deaths, although two independent probes have been conducted, as well as one by the Guyana Medical Council (GMC).Seven-year-old Curwayne Edwards died on January 14, three-year-old Roshini Seegobin died on January 18, and six-year-old Sharezer Mendonca died on January 24.Chairman of the Guyana Medical Council, Dr. Navindranauth Rambarran, told Guyana Times during a telephone interview on Thursday that the matter at hand is of a serious nature, and therefore the process that is being followed cannot be rushed.“This process has to be fully exhausted, and we are following the process. This did not come to the Medical Council as soon as it was reported in the news; this had levels of investigations (done by) the Ministry (MoPH) and the institution (GPHC) itself. And it took some time for us to actually be brought into the investigation, into the phase where we would look at the matter,” he declared.He explained that although the Public Health Ministry and the GPHC had each conducted its own investigation into the deaths of those three children, the Guyana Medical Council is required to have its own investigation done.“The matter has been before us, I believe, (for) just a few months. We are looking at it, but the disciplinary process is not one that we can fast-track. We just cannot take the other things (investigations’ findings), because this is the body that registers the doctors; so we have to do our own work,” he clarified.Dr. Rambarran had in May confirmed that the Guyana Medical Council had concluded its probe into the deaths and the files had been sent to the Council’s Disciplinary Committee.“All I could say on the issue is that the issue is now engaging the Disciplinary Committee at the Medical Council. But the course of natural justice has to take its path, so I cannot comment on that further,” Dr Rambarran had said at that time.With regard to the doctors who, in the initial probe done by the hospital, had been found to be negligent of following protocol but are still on the job, Dr Rambarran had explained that it is not the role of the Guyana Medical Council to interfere in those operations; but rather, the Disciplinary Committee has to do its work.The GPHC had earlier this year found that the medical personnel did not follow the established protocol in administering drugs to these three children who died earlier this year.Deputy Chief Medical Officer (DCMO) of Guyana, Dr Karen Gordon-Campbell, had in March told the media that the doctors who had treated the now dead three leukaemia patients had incorrectly administered a certain drug.Instead of administering the drug vincristine intrathecally, they had done so intravenously; and this had led to the adverse reactions of those three children that ultimately resulted in their deaths.She explained that investigations revealed that protocols the medical practitioners should have followed would have stipulated which drug has to be administered “when and where”.“It wasn’t a question of dosage, but administration in terms of where it was administered. That was done incorrectly. The dosages would have been fine, but (the error occurred) in terms of where they administered what,” the Deputy CMO explained.She said the three medical personnel involved in the matters were aware that they had broken protocol, but not at the initial stage of administering the medical drugs to those patients.“The reasons that were given encompassed the fact that they were stretched and maybe not fully attentive at the time. That pretty much is the long-and-short of the reasons given, but I don’t think that initially they realised (that they were in error). But eventually, when they recognised that the patients were deteriorating, when they checked, they realised their mistake,” she explained.DeficienciesMeanwhile, Chairperson of the GPHC Board of Directors, Dr Kesaundra Alves, told the media that an internal investigation done by the hospital’s administration into the circumstances surrounding the treatment of the three leukaemia patients and their subsequent adverse reactions has revealed that human deficiencies and systemic challenges had contributed to the demise of those three children.“Statements were solicited from the parties directly or indirectly involved, and parties who were witnesses or otherwise privy to pertinent information that could assist with the investigation. The Director of Medical and Professional Services, Dr Jeffery, submitted his final report to the Chief Executive Officer on January 28, 2019. That report concluded that human deficiencies and systemic challenges contributed to the demise of the three children,” Dr Alves detailed.She said an independent investigation was also done by the Public Health Ministry and its findings were similar to those of the GPHC’s investigation: non-adherence to the hospital’s protocols had led to the three young children succumbing at the GPHC.Following this incident, parents and other activists began calling for suspension of the medical licences of those doctors responsible for the deaths of the three children.last_img read more

Hummels to Man United latest: Fee ‘agreed’, although Klopp says player is ‘going nowhere’

first_img1 Mats Hummels is linked with a move to Manchester United Louis van Gaal’s Manchester United revolution is well and truly underway.The Dutchman officially took up the reins at Old Trafford last week, and looks to be remoulding his side as they embark on a pre-season tour of America.The Red Devils have already welcomed two major signings in the shape of Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw, but the real area in need of targeting is central defence.Borussia Dortmund’s Mats Hummels is the man reportedly in line to plug that particular gap, but is a move realistically on the cards? talkSPORT takes a look…£16m deal agreedBoth The Express and Spanish publication Sport have nailed their colours to the mast, reporting that a deal has been agreed that will see Hummels move to Man United for around £16m (€20m). Sport say the deal will be made official later on this week, while the Express point to Dortmund’s recent signing of Matthias Ginter from Freiburg as indication that a deal is set to be concluded.Hummels is staying putAs reported by Ruhr Nachrichten, Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp said that both Hummels and Marco Reus are staying put at the Westfalenstadion – for the time being at least. Speaking during a special broadcast of ‘Black and Yellow talk’, Klopp commented: “I can assure everyone that there is no evidence that the two want to leave. Marco and Mats will play for us next season. What was said today? Mats to Man United? For how much? €20m? Such numbers you can forget.”Wild rumoursIt seems as though daily publication Sport Bild are also dismissing suggestions that Hummels could be on the way to Manchester. ‘The fact that he [Louis van Gaal] is a fan of Hummels is no secret,’ they write, but it is ‘rather unlikely’ that he will be moving to Old Trafford for €20m, especially given Dortmund executive Hans-Joachim Watzke’s recent comments that no players – let alone a player as important as Hummels – will be leaving the club.He wants to got to ManchesterDespite Dortmund’s apparent hard-line approach, The Guardian’s Jamie Jackson believes the German defender is interested in a move to Old Trafford, but the lack of European football is a real sticking point. Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, he said: “The big problem is not having European football. They [Man United] would love him. As I understand it, Mats Hummels would like to go to Manchester United if the right deal came about and Dortmund said, ‘yes, Ok, you can go’.”Barcelona snubThe Mirror have approach the situation cautiously, reporting that any potential switch to Man United has been strengthened after the 25-year-old rejected a move to Barcelona. They too report the transfer fee is likely to be in the region of £16m (€20m), citing that Red Devils boss Van Gaal wants Hummels to be lead his defence following the departures of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic at the end of last season.Man United fans, do you think you’ll sign Mats Hummels this summer? Comment below…last_img read more