JUDGE ORDERS GARDAI TO FIND COST OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY GLUE VANDAL

first_imgA Judge has asked Gardai to find out the full cost of a spate of glue attacks on homes and cars across the county.William McElwaine appears in court. Pic by NW Newspix.The man charged with the 29 attacks, William James McElwaine, 27, appeared at Letterkenny District Court yesterday. His arrest follows months of attacks on the homes and cars of pensioners and other homeowners at locations across Letterkenny in recent months.McElwaine, from Buncrana, faces a total of 29 charges of criminal damage on at least ten different occasions between September 2012 and May 2013.Garda Stephen Moyles told the court that Gardai were still assessing the cost of the attacks.However, he revealed that one woman had to pay more than €800 after the locks on her car were filled with glue.The final cost of the attacks is expected to run to several thousand euro.McElwaine’s arrest followed dozens of attacks in Letterkenny.On one occasion more than 20 homes at Ballymacool Terrace had their front doors filled with glue.A local locksmith came to the rescue of the homeowners by offering them a deal to replace the locks.Judge Paul Kelly said he wanted a full costings of the damage caused before he dealt with the case.He adjourned the case for hearing until September next.JUDGE ORDERS GARDAI TO FIND COST OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY GLUE VANDAL was last modified: June 6th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranadonegalglue attacksJudge Paul KellyWilliam McElwainelast_img read more

Nicaragua clashes leave eight dead including baby rights group

first_imgTalks between the government and the opposition Civic Alliance were suspended once again last Monday when the government failed to allow international human rights bodies to investigate the violence.It eventually did so on Wednesday.Protests erupted on April 18 against now-scrapped social security reforms, but have grown into demands for justice for those killed and the exit of Ortega and his wife and vice president Rosario Murillo.Ortega, a former leftist guerrilla, led the country from 1979 to 1990 and then returned to the presidency in 2007. He is now serving his third consecutive term. Facebook Comments According to Alvaro Leiva, secretary of the Nicaraguan Pro-Human Rights Association, the attack against the university was intended “to plant terror in the population” ahead of a march planned for Saturday afternoon in memory of victims of the violence.Later Saturday organizers cancelled the march due to what they branded “indiscriminate” attacks by government forces. The organizing Civil Alliance opposition called for a 48-hour strike among social sectors and trade unions to press for Ortega’s departure.The Nicaraguan Episcopal Conference urged Ortega’s government and the opposition to return to the negotiating table on Monday to discuss a proposal to bring elections forward from 2021 to March 2019, in a bid to end the crisis.Ortega, 72, has not responded to the Catholic bishops’ initiative, but has previously expressed his willingness to work toward democratization. Among the dead were two students killed in the university area and two minors who died in Managua – a 17-year-old and a baby who was shot in the head. The baby was killed when his mother was taking him to a babysitter.“He was killed by a police gunshot. I saw them. They were police,” the mother Kenia Navarrete told news channel Cien por Cien Noticias.The government denied the charge, saying criminals in the university area were to blame.UNAN is one of several student protest camps in Managua. About 450 students have been living there under plastic tarp tents and in class buildings, surrounded by empty bottles, old food and used rounds from their homemade mortars.“Ortega’s government continues to repress and kill young people,” CENIDH said on Twitter. Related posts:President Ortega celebrates anniversary; Costa Rica opens shelters 35 years after Somoza’s overthrow, not much for Nicaragua to celebrate U.S. government restricts visas for Nicaragua officials over unrest Army’s role under the spotlight in Nicaragualast_img read more