Man repeatedly punched wife in the head outside nightclub

first_imgA man who repeatedly punched his wife in the head outside a Letterkenny nightclub has been fined €250.Charlie Ward of The Garden, Ballymacool, in Letterkenny, pleaded guilty to charges before Judge Paul Kelly having been arrested at Lower Main Street, Letterkenny for public order offences on March 17. Gardai saw the accused shouting in the face of a woman outside Voodoo Nightclub and then punching her in the head a number of times.The female refused to speak to gardai but gardai proceeded to arrest the defendant for causing a breach of the peace and being intoxicated in a public place.Solicitor for the defendant, Mr Patsy Gallagher, told the court that on the date of the offence his client had been drinking with his wife and they both had “a lot of alcohol taken”.He added that they had been experiencing a number of personal difficulties which have since been resolved.Mr Gallagher also told the court that the defendant’s wife is currently pregnant and the 26-year-old is soon to be a father.Judge Kelly imposed a fine of €250.Man repeatedly punched wife in the head outside nightclub was last modified: June 18th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

In Vegas or LA, UFC 232 is a dynamite show to fans, fighters

first_imgMOST READ That’s a statement on Los Angeles’ passion for mixed martial arts, but it’s mostly a testament to the quality of a show that compelled fans to travel countless miles to Vegas — and then about 250 miles more to LA.UFC 232 is headlined by Jones’ return to the sport in a rematch with Alexander Gustafsson for the light heavyweight title. The penultimate bout is featherweight champion Cris “Cyborg” Justino’s superfight with bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes in perhaps the best matchup in women’s MMA history. The big-name undercard includes former UFC champions BJ Penn, Carlos Condit and Andrei Arlovski, along with former title contenders Chad Mendes and Cat Zingano.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefWith such an irresistible slate of fights, the UFC is closing out the year with style — even if it’s under weird circumstances for the fans and fighters.“It’s not an easy decision to make,” White said. “You’ve got to pull the trigger and you’ve got to make moves. You’re not going to make everybody happy. You can’t make every fan, every fighter happy. We did everything we could to make it better.” FILE – In this Nov. 2, 2018, file photo, Jon Jones, left, pushes Alexander Gustafsson out of the way during a news conference about their light heavyweight bout at Madison Square Garden in New York. UFC 232 is on track to sell out the Forum in Inglewood just six days after the end-of-the-year show was moved from Las Vegas to Southern California. That is a testament to the quality of a card headlined by Jones’ return to the UFC against Gustafsson. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez, File)INGLEWOOD, California — Dana White knew the UFC would take some pretty big hits, both financial and otherwise, when he moved its traditional end-of-the-year show from Las Vegas to Southern California on six days’ notice to keep Jon Jones on the card despite his latest positive drug test.Some hits are more damaging than others, however. According to White, UFC 232 is going to sell out the famous Forum on Saturday night, even though tickets only went on sale Wednesday.ADVERTISEMENT “I was hated, and turning it all off is the easy way to deal with it,” said the 31-year-old Jones, who is fighting for only the third time in nearly four years of his athletic prime.“Financially, I didn’t have to fight anymore. I could afford to delete my social media accounts and just ride off into the sunset. But I didn’t want to do that. I still want to compete and be the best.”He returns to fight Gustafsson (18-4), who provided Jones with the toughest fight of his life in 2013. Jones won the decision, but was battered and humbled by the Swedish contender.Gustafsson has stewed over the loss for years, and he was infuriated by Jones’ latest doping troubles. He labeled Jones a cheater Thursday and vowed to make the former champion “eat everything he says on Saturday night.”“You put illegal stuff in your body, but it won’t help you this time,” Gustafsson said. “I’m ready to end this. I’ve learned how to dig deeper.”The other championship bout at UFC 232 is every bit as compelling as the main event thanks to the bravery of Nunes (16-4), who is moving up 10 pounds to challenge the most feared women’s fighter in MMA history.Justino (20-1) hasn’t lost a fight since 2005, battering every contender with her peerless power and athleticism. She has long been reluctant to fight Nunes because she is a fellow Brazilian, but changed her mind after Nunes repeatedly called her out.“After everything she has said, I know that if I beat her now, nobody back (in Brazil) will look at me like I did the wrong thing,” Justino said. “She is asking for it, so she can get it now.”Nunes scrapped her way to the top of the bantamweight division and subsequently battered Ronda Rousey into retirement. Although she is an obvious underdog, Nunes believes she can claim Cyborg’s mantle as the greatest female fighter.“This is for the (title of the) baddest woman on the planet,” White said. “I love this fight. I’ve wanted this fight for a long time. Anytime you can put a fight together between two champions, I love that.” Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES BREAKING: Corrections officer shot dead in front of Bilibid LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Not every fighter will agree after getting a shrunken paycheck due to California’s state income tax. White flatly said the UFC won’t compensate the fighters for any lost income due to the move.But the pay-per-view audience still gets a stacked show headlined by the first fight in nearly 1 1/2 years for Jones (22-1), the self-sabotaging superstar who tested positive for very low levels of an anabolic steroid earlier this year.The result isn’t considered a failed doping test by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, but the Nevada Athletic Commission wanted a hearing on the matter in January. Its California counterpart had no such qualms, prompting the UFC’s extraordinary move.Jones has made innumerable mistakes outside the octagon, but that bad-boy persona combined with his brute brilliance in competition has made him irresistible to many fight fans. According to Jones, some root for his success, while others yearn for his failure with similar passion — but both camps buy his fights.Jones claims he thought about quitting the sport while he spent the past year pounding a heavy bag in his garage in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He reclaimed his light heavyweight title in July 2017 with a win over Daniel Cormier, only to lose it again due to another failed doping test.ADVERTISEMENT Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Lakers guard Rajon Rondo out for a month after right hand surgery Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening View commentslast_img read more

Ministry adds six managers to contingent list

first_imgHockey coach-cum-manager Jude Felix is one the six additions.The sports ministry on Saturday added six managers to the Asian Games contingent after having initially refused to make any more changes to the pruned list. The ministry added 13 names and four replacements to take the final contingent tally to 692. Prominent among those added is hockey coach-cum-manager Jude Felix, whose axing drew a lot of flak.Meanwhile, Leander Paes’s father Vece Paes has pulled out due to prior commitments. His place will now be taken by doctor Anand Kumar.Earlier, the government had cleared only five managers in 28 disciplines and the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) was not happy with the move to cut down on officials.”Having approved a contingent of 679 including 516 athletes, the sports ministry had received representations from the Indian Olympic Association requesting clearance for some more managers since, it pointed out, they had an important role to play during the Games,” stated S.P.S. Tomar, under secretary to the Government of India, in his letter to IOA secretary general Rajeev Mehta on Saturday.Besides Felix, the other managers cleared for the Games are Praveen Jolly (athletics), S.M. Bali (handball), M.V. Sriram (rowing), Balbir Singh Kushwaha (canoeing and kayaking) and V.S. Dahiya (sepak takraw). This is in addition to the five managers cleared earlier by the sports ministry.Hockey was the prime beneficiary of the last-minute addition as physiotherapist Gaurav Mehra and video analyst Amutha Prakash were also given the go-ahead. The coaches who have been added to the list are Ravi Shankar, (recurve archery), Chandra Shekhar Laguri, (compound archery), Ramanand (boxing), and Ravi Prakash Tripathi (wushu).advertisementThe ministry also cleared some replacements among the athletes. In men’s football, Siam Hanghal has replaced injured Alwyn George while Ongnaam Milaan Singh will take the place of the injured Rowllin Borges. In table tennis, Neha Aggarwal has replaced Pooja Sahastrabudhe.last_img read more

Sovcomflot Novatek Forge Ties on LNG Shipping

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: Novatek Russian shipping major Sovcomflot has inked a strategic cooperation agreement with compatriot natural gas producer Novatek for the transport of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and gas condensate produced at Yamal LNG and Arctic LNG 2.The agreement is a continuation of the strategic partnership of the two Russian companies on developing an effective logistics model for the transportation of hydrocarbons in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation, and optimizing the Arctic fleet both in terms of quantity and technical parameters.The deal will also cover Novatek’s other Arctic projects, the two companies said in a joint release.The duo has pioneered shipping through the Northern Sea Route and in July 2017 Sovcomflot’s Christophe de Margerie, the world’s first ice-breaking LNG tanker, became the first tanker to traverse the route unescorted.Christophe de Margerie is the first in a series of 15 carriers being constructed for the Yamal LNG project by Korean shipbuilder Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) under a USD 320 million shipbuilding deal signed in 2014.“Our unique partnership with Sovcomflot will optimize our LNG transport model through the Arctic zone by efficiently and effectively using ice-class tankers,” Novatek’s Chairman of Management Board, Leonid Mikhelson, said. “To implement our long-term development strategy to produce more than 55 million tons of LNG by 2030, we need to establish an efficient Northern Sea Route shipping model. Combining our efforts with Sovcomflot, one of the global leaders in navigation in harsh ice conditions, will allow us to achieve maximum efficiency in managing our transportation costs.”last_img read more

In the news today May 22

first_imgFive stories in the news for Tuesday, May 22———NOTLEY SKIPPING WESTERN PREMIERS CONFERENCEThere won’t be any fireworks between the premiers of Alberta and British Columbia at the Western premiers conference this week, because Alberta Premier Rachel Notley isn’t going. B.C.’s John Horgan and Notley, who have butted heads over the Trans Mountain pipeline project, were both scheduled to be in Yellowknife at the conference, which will host an event tonight before the premiers get down to business on Wednesday.———CANADIANS STUCK IN CUBA HEADING HOMEA Montreal travel agency says hundreds of Canadians who were stuck in Cuba since a plane crash last week are returning home. Caribe Sol says Cubana Airlines has resumed operations after the passenger jet crash on Friday killed 111 people. The agency says 346 tourists who booked through Caribe Sol would be flown back to Canada Monday and Tuesday. It said some other passengers had already returned home on other airlines.———MOST RESIDENTS IN B.C.’S BOUNDARY REGION CAN GO HOMEMost residents in British Columbia’s Boundary region who were forced out of their homes by flooding are now free to return home. The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary says evacuation orders have been lifted for about 1,400 properties. Emergency operations centre co-ordinator Chris Marsh said evacuation orders have been downgraded to evacuation alerts as a precaution.———WESTJET BACK AT TABLE WITH PILOTSWestJet Airlines says it is confident that an agreement will be reached with its pilots as negotiations continue this week. The Calgary-based airline’s pilots have had the legal right to commence job action since Saturday, but said they wouldn’t disrupt travel plans over the Victoria Day long weekend. The Air Line Pilots Association says its will return to the bargaining table in Halifax this week.———CANADA’S G7 AID GOAL: WOOING PRIVATE CAPITALWhen G7 finance and international development ministers convene in British Columbia next week, Canada hopes the meetings will generate fresh ideas on how aid money can be leveraged to entice the private sector to boost investments in poorer parts of the world. The challenging search for solutions will take place in Whistler, where finance and international development ministers will gather together for the first time at formal G7 meetings.———ALSO IN THE NEWS TODAY:— Statistics Canada will release the wholesale trade figures for March.— NDP MP Charlie Angus holds a news conference to launch his campaign for a National Suicide Prevention Action Plan.— Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer is the keynote speaker at The Mayor’s Breakfast Series in Ottawa.— Sentencing hearing in Halifax today for two key players in a disgraced e-learning company.— Halifax police Const. Laurence Gary Basso to appear in court on charges that include assault causing bodily harm.— Bashir Makhtal, a Canadian imprisoned in Ethiopia for 11 years, addresses media in Ottawa about his ordeal.last_img read more

Li Bingbing Wages War On Ivory And Rhino Horn Trade

first_imgChina’s top actress and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Goodwill Ambassador, Li Bingbing, is joining the world’s largest wildlife awareness campaign against the ivory and rhino horn trade in a series of public service announcements beginning with War.The screen star will appear in five live action spots currently being scheduled to air throughout China as part of the “Say No To Ivory and Rhino Horn” Campaign. Li joins fellow countryman and WildAid Ambassador Yao Ming, who launched the campaign last month in Beijing with WildAid, Save the Elephants, and the African Wildlife Foundation.Li recently completed an official mission with UNEP to learn more about Kenya’s wild elephants and confront the impacts of poaching that are threatening elephants and rhinos across Africa.“We are incredibly thankful that Li Bingbing is joining our campaign as a WildAid Ambassador to shift China’s view of ivory and rhino horn consumption,” said WildAid Executive Director Peter Knights. “Due to the ivory and rhino horn trade as many as 25,000 elephants are killed every year and up to 95% of the world’s rhinos have been lost in the past four decades, with the last of the species in Mozambique recently falling victim to poachers. We must act now to save these endangered animals from extinction.”The importance of raising awareness within China, the leading country for ivory consumption, is central to Li’s campaign. As the actress states in her first PSA: “There is a war in Africa you don’t hear about in the news. A war that kills 25,000 elephants a year, for ivory. A war that sponsors civil wars and criminal gangs, paid for with ivory. But this is a war we can stop, by simply saying no to ivory. When the buying stops, the killing can, too.”In 2012, WildAid launched an inaugural awareness campaign seeking to ban shark fin consumption in China. The campaign centered on multimedia components, and a vital partnership with CCTV, to highlight the cruelty inherent in shark finning and the vital role that sharks play in the marine ecosystem. According to the South China Morning Post: “…the Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong reported that shark fin imports have reduced from 10,292 tons to 3,087 from 2011 to November 2012; over a 70% decline.”“Our shark fin campaign proved that our model of targeting the consumer has a tremendous impact on the lives of endangered animals,” Knights added. “Today marks another successful step in our partnership with China’s leading conservationists as well as the nation’s broadcast media and government.”Source:WildAidlast_img read more