Ohio State running backs ready to wipe slate clean against California

Ohio State running backs coach Stan Drayton said he asks a lot from his players. Senior running back Jordan Hall and redshirt junior running back Carlos Hyde have proven themselves in the areas Drayton focuses on, but with both players injured, younger running back talent like freshman Bri`onte Dunn and sophomore Rod Smith will need to develop quickly. And Drayton said the clock is ticking until OSU kicks off against California Saturday. “Based on performance, last week was not very good,” Drayton said. “However, we wipe the slate clean every week. They have to have an unbelievable week at practice this week to earn their time on the field.” Dunn had five rushes for 29 yards while Smith gained 10 yards on three attempts against Central Florida last week. At this time last year, Dunn was in high school at Canton’s GlenOak where he ran for 5,479 yards in his career for the Eagles. His first ever action with OSU was against Miami (Ohio) and his career numbers now total 60 yards on 12 rushes and one touchdown. Smith has more experience compared to Dunn, but not by much. Smith had 29 carries for 116 yards and one touchdown last season, though the biggest impact he had on a game might have been a fumble during a game against Toledo late in the fourth quarter last season. The Buckeyes, up 27-22 at the time, held on to win despite Smith’s fumble, but the player saw limited time after that game. “It’s one thing getting your mind right to go to be a backup for third string tailback for a game. It’s another thing getting your mind right to be the guy that’s going to jog out there with the first offense,” said coach Urban Meyer during a Monday press conference. “Whoever has the best (practices on) Tuesday and Wednesday is going to line up at tailback.” After Hyde suffered a strained MCL during Saturday’s game against UCF, junior wide receiver Corey “Philly” Brown saw some time in the backfield, carrying the ball twice for 33 yards during the game. Drayton does not see him spending much time in the backfield. “(Brown’s) a wide receiver, you know, I don’t want to send the wrong message out there,” Drayton said. “He is the wide receiver and we need him to be productive on the perimeter.” Brown ran the ball in high school and said he would like to play the position again but is supportive of the players on the depth chart. “I think that anyone of our running backs should be able to go in there,” Brown said. “If coach Meyer wants to use me carrying the ball, I’m fine with it.” Another player that can relieve some pressure from Dunn and Smith is senior fullback Zach Boren. “We ask him to do, from a job description stand point, probably more so than everyone else in that offense,” Drayton said. “He’s a young man that can get us four to five yards on an inside zone play and turn around and block a five technique.” In his first three seasons with OSU, Boren was mainly used as a blocker, taking a total of one carry for two yards and zero touchdowns. In the first two games he already has nine attempts for 26 yards and his first career rushing touchdown. There is also hope in Buckeyes camp because Hall will return to practice this week. Hall, who has been out since late June while recovering from a foot injury after stepping on a piece of glass, has been medically cleared to play. His return to practice, however, doesn’t mean fans should expect to see the running back on the field Saturday. Drayton said they’re still taking it day-by-day at practice with Hall. “We’re going to get out there and see where his conditioning level is. He has not had contact and we’re going to see how his body reacts to contact a little bit and we’ll just take it from there.” Even if Hall can’t play Saturday, Drayton said he feels with the talent currently available, there will still be a solid backfield. “I feel as though if Zach Boren continues to progress along with Bri`onte Dunn and Rod Smith, those younger backs progress, I think we can be solid there,” he said. “There’s some things that they cannot do that Philly Brown may be able to do.”

Nigeria can progress at World Cup – Pinnick

first_imgThe President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Melvin Pinnick, is certain that the national side have the potential to advance past the group stages of the World Cup, despite losing their opening game to Croatia 2-0The Super Eagles were left unable to answer to Croatia’s set-pieces at Kaliningrad on Saturday as they fell to a disappointing 2-0 loss and are now bottom of Group D after both Argentina and Iceland drew in their opening game.“We expected to win against Croatia but it did not happen and the whole team, as well as the Federation, have put that behind us and looking ahead with hope to the next two matches,” said Pinnick, according to AllAfrica.“I have spoken with the Coach and the players and they have confidence that the job can be done. They feel bad to have lost the first match and are determined to go out there and do what they have to do against Iceland on Friday.”News: Samson Siasia banned for life by FIFA George Patchias – August 16, 2019 The former manager of the Nigerian national team Samson Siasia has been banned from football for life.A match-fixing investigation has been carried out by…The President remains hopeful that Nigeria can bounce back as in football nothing is impossible.“Losing your first match of a major competition is not an automatic exit ticket. Spain lost their first match of the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals and still went ahead to win the tournament.“We have a young team that can achieve so much with the right attitude and invention, and we must now reach deep down for those qualities when we play Iceland in Volgograd.”Nigeria will face World Cup debutants Iceland at the Volgograd Arena on Friday.last_img read more

The battle between Le Graët and Benzema in detail

first_imgIn a new episode of the battle between president Nöel Le Graët against Karim Benzema, the Real Madrid striker exploded via Twitter.The relationship that Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema has with the French Football Federation president has never been great, Noël Le Graët has always criticized the player for letting down France in the past.The incident with Mathieu Valbuena cost Karim his place in Les Bleus and he hasn’t come back ever since, Benzema even lost the unique chance to become a World Cup champion last summer over the scandal that had a lot of people in France rooting against him.But one of the figures that was the most adamant about Benzema never playing for France again, was the FFF president Le Graët, who recently spoke to French journal Ouest-France about the Real Madrid player and he opened the old wound in public once again.The chairman spoke in a very condescending manner against Karim, a passive-aggressive tone that the player didn’t take well and sparked a quick response from him on social media.This is just a new chapter on the already controversial battle between the two, in which Karim Benzema has repeatedly expressed that he doesn’t want to be a part of.Le Graet cree que Benzema no volverá a la selección https://t.co/fdzINOoQJZ pic.twitter.com/6vaxFV8url— HTDeportes VE (@HTDeportes) October 10, 2018Le Graët seems quite salty against the former Olympique Lyonnais player, because he was widely considered as one of the most important offensive players of his generation in France, and he threw it all away because of that scandal.The reaction from Le Graët is the same that many French people have against Karim because they had a lot of hope deposited on his talent for the future.Fortunately for France, they won the World Cup without even needing Karim but the FFF president still seems adamant on coming after the striker even if the whole scandal is already in the past.“The Valbuena-Benzema affair had another episode last week, but it is still not over,” Le Graët said to Ouest-France.“It’s been three or four years. It should have been judged much faster and it is rotten for us.”“I have nothing against Karim, he has always behaved well in the [national] team, but I think he is finished with Les Bleus, particularly as he has been out of form for a while,” he added on that interview.“France have closed the door forever on Karim Benzema. Let him play for another country.”— Benzema’s agent pic.twitter.com/kfkcL8ddjfEuro 2020Report: Euro 2020 qualifying Group H George Patchias – September 11, 2019 Euro 2020 qualifying Group H is being controlled by France and Turkey, but Iceland is still in with a shout.Reigning world champions France ran…— DZ Football (@DZFootball_en) October 10, 2018The response from Karim Benzema was quick, but it was only after his former agent responded to Le Graët suggesting that they let him represent another country now that they’ve completely destroyed his chances of playing for France.“Noel, you already ended Benzema’s international career in June of 2018 and you’re doing it again now and at the same time, you insult him,” wrote Karim Djaziri on his personal Twitter account.“What is your game? Do you feel guilty about something? Write to FIFA and let him play for another team and let’s see if he’s finished.”Karim Benzema instantly retweeted this, and he then proceeded to send his own personal message that we reported earlier this Wednesday.Noël vous aviez déjà mis un terme à la carrière internationale de @Benzema en juin 2018 vous remettez ça aujourd’hui tout en le dénigrant!Dans quel but?Vous vous reprochez quelque chose?Écrivez à @FIFAcom et laissez le jouer pour une autre sélection nous verrons s’il est terminé— KDjaziri (@KDjaziri) October 10, 2018The fact that the Real Madrid player still has to deal with the aftermath of his mistake with Mathieu Valbuena, is something that will unfortunately haunt him for the rest of his life due to all the expectation he generated since the beginning of his career.When he first started to play football as a professional, every single sports journalism outlet in France regarded him as the next Thierry Henry.At club level, Karim has enjoyed a lot of success with Real Madrid, but his time with the French National Team has been nothing but an endless nightmare that may never leave him alone.🇫🇷 FFF president says @Benzema “is finished with Les Bleus”https://t.co/lLejqY2nPL— beIN SPORTS USA (@beINSPORTSUSA) October 11, 2018What do you think about Noël Le Graët’s latest criticism about Karim Benzema? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.last_img read more

3 Friends Dog Park OneYear Anniversary Celebration Tomorrow

first_imgFacebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The 3 Friends Dog Park will be celebrating their one year anniversary on Saturday, October 20, with a Halloween themed party and costume contest. The one-year anniversary will take place at the park from 1 to 3 p.m. The celebration on Saturday will feature the release of three balloons into the air commemorating the three friends of the dog park- Dean Birmley, Martha Brewer and Alice Puster. 3 Friends Dog Park opened in September 2017, and sits on about two acres of land behind Jo-Ann Fabric, off Aspen Drive.center_img Dale Bagley, one of the volunteers who helped build the gazebo where the new benches are located: “We did this multi-tier gazebo here, and this thing is huge with multi-levels. Now we are working on the seating in there so people have a good place to sit and watch their dogs play.”  The park also celebrated the one-year milestone with new benches. The funding for the benches was donated by Kelly Griebel of Century 21 as well as Alaska 1st Real Estate, each donated $750.last_img read more