Colombian Defense Minister Says That Cano “Is Going to Fall”

first_img In an interview published on 20 February, Colombian Defense Minister Rodrigo Rivera said that the FARC’s top-ranking leader, Alfonso Cano, “is going to fall” and called on the members of that guerrilla group to demobilize. “We’re now on Alfonso Cano’s trail, and he’s going to fall, like all the members of the ‘secretariat’ (the FARC’s central command). Therefore, I call on them to demobilize, before they lose this opportunity,” Rivera indicated to the Bogotá daily El Tiempo. He added that regular army troops are searching for the members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) “in their dens, where they (previously) felt very comfortable.” Rivera’s statements became public a day after the military high command confirmed that it had launched a vast operation with hundreds of soldiers against Cano, in a mountainous area in the country’s southwest, where three members of the state security forces held by the FARC were freed last week. The operation is underway in a region on the border between the departments of Cauca and Tolima, the area of activity of the FARC’s Front 21 and other guerrilla squadrons that protect Cano, who succeeded the late Manuel Marulanda (‘Tirofijo’) as FARC commander. Marulanda, whose real name was Pedro Antonio Marín, died of natural causes on 26 March 2008, somewhere in the Colombian mountains, shortly before his seventy-eighth birthday and after forty-four years as a guerrilla fighter, according to the FARC high command. “We know where Cano is, and we’re breathing down his neck,” Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said on 17 February. Santos, who was defense minister in Alvaro Uribe’s administration (2002-2010), has struck hard against the FARC, the most recent blow being the death in a September 2010 bombardment of Jorge Briceño, alias ‘Mono Jojoy,’ who was the group’s second-ranking leader and its top military commander. By Dialogo February 22, 2011last_img read more

David Silva to get statue at Etihad Stadium

first_imgRelatedPosts Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says David Silva recovers from COVID-19 Man City top players test positive for coronavirus Manchester City will build a statue of David Silva outside the Etihad to honour the Spanish playmaker’s 10-year career at the club.Widely accepted as one of the greatest players in City’s history, Silva’s final game was Saturday’s Champions League quarter-final defeat to Lyon in Lisbon. The club have commissioned a statue of Silva as well as dedicating a training pitch at the City Football Academy to him with a mosaic celebrating his role in the famous 6-1 win over Manchester United in 2011.The 34-year-old is being honoured with a sculpture at the stadium along with former captain Vincent Kompany.Both statues are expected to be unveiled next year.Silva helped turn the Abu Dhabi dream into reality after joining City from Valencia in 2010, winning four Premier League titles, two FA Cups and five League Cups in his 436 appearances for the club.It’s understood that chairman Khaldoon Al-Mubarak informed Silva of the tribute after his final Premier League game against Norwich City last month. Al Mubarak said: “David Silva is a transformational player; a quiet leader who has acted quietly and deliberately and inspired everyone around him, from the youngest academy player to his senior team-mates over the past 10 years.“He has put a stamp on the team, on this club, its history and even the Premier League as a whole. In doing so, he has been instrumental to the beautiful football philosophy you see today. He was the start of it.“As with Vincent before him, David’s statue will act as a lasting reminder of the wonderful moments that he gave us, not only as an incredible footballer, but as an inspiring ambassador who represented this football club with great dignity at all times.”Tags: David SilvaEtihad StadiumHonourManchester CityStatuelast_img read more

Orlando Pirates players in trouble over naked pictures

first_imgGhana goalkeeper Fatau Dauda’s Orlando Pirates teammates could face a disciplinary inquiry after a photograph showing them posing naked in the showers with a trophy appeared on social media.The players covering their genitals with their hands in the dressing room showers alongside the Nedbank Cup trophy following their victory in the final last Saturday.The picture was also widely published in South Africa’s mainstream media.Pirates administrative manager Floyd Mbele told the South African Press Association on Friday that those involved could be disciplined, although he said “this is the first time that we are dealing with such an issue in the club.”Mbele said the photo being made public and not the celebrations was the problem.“Who are we to condemn players for celebrating?” he said. “I mean you can ask most sports codes and it’s something that happens, so this is not unique to Pirates. The fact that it’s out in the media is another thing. But how many players get into their dressing rooms and do funny things after winning matches?” The players shown smiling and covering their modesty apparently include current South Africa internationals Lehlohonolo Majoro and Thabo Matlaba. MidfielderThandani Ntshumayelo took responsibility for initially posting the photo on social media. He apologized on Twitter, saying “at the time I thought it was a joke, sorry to my teammates.”Ntshumayelo is one of the players in the photo and is crouching naked behind the trophy and appears to be hugging and planting a kiss on it. Some of the players are wearing flip flops but nothing else. It was unclear who took the photograph.South African newspaper The Times said on its website: “Next season’s Nedbank Cup winners might have to sterilise the trophy.”Orlando Pirates is one of South Africa’s biggest clubs. It came from a goal down to beat Bidvest Wits 3-1 in the season-ending Nedbank Cup final, the country’s version of the FA Cup final, at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban last weekendlast_img read more