Notre Dame student senate discusses sexual assault

first_imgNotre Dame’s student senate reckoned with the University’s handling of sexual misconduct Monday evening, discussing the the institution’s stance on Title IX revisions and Cardinal Theodore McCarrick’s honorary degree.Student government director of gender relations and student body president-elect Elizabeth Boyle presented about the Trump administration’s proposed revisions to the federal law Title IX, which dictates how colleges handle accusations of sexual harassment and assault.“These are some really important, really scary changes,” Boyle said.Notre Dame issued a public comment to the Department of Education in response to the proposed Title IX revisions, expressing support for the changes. Notably, the University supported new regulations requiring mediation between victims and the alleged perpetrators, a practice that Boyle said is not trauma-informed.“[Mediation is] really, really horrible for survivors to have to go through,” Boyle said. “Unfortunately, Notre Dame is already practicing this mediation process and was doing that before these changes even happened.”Additionally, Notre Dame supported the Trump administration’s proposal to lower a colleges’ liability for investigating incidents of sexual harassment and assault.Previously, colleges could be liable for mishandling a claim of sexual misconduct brought to any mandatory reporter, such as a professor or rector. Under the proposed new standards, however, colleges would only be responsible for handling claims brought to top administrative officials.Lowering liability standards “is really, really harmful and further limits the people that survivors can trust and tell about their case,” Boyle said.Finally, Boyle expressed concern regarding Notre Dame’s opposition to changes that would require colleges to provide students with a lawyer and help victims gather evidence.Notre Dame is facing eight federal investigations for violating Title IX. The 2015 documentary “The Hunting Ground” made Notre Dame notorious for its mishandling of sexual assault claims, Boyle said. These investigations parallel elements of the Catholic sex abuse scandal, which remains a major issue on Notre Dame’s campus.Following Boyle’s presentation, senators shifted the discussion to the sexual abuse allegations brought against the former Cardinal and Archbishop of Washington Theodore McCarrick. McCarrick faces multiple allegations of sexually abusing minors and currently holds an honorary degree from the University.Senators voted unanimously in favor of a resolution calling for University President Fr. John Jenkins to revoke McCarrick’s honorary Notre Dame law degree, which he was awarded in 2008. Jenkins issued a statement in August saying that the University does not plan to revoke McCarrick’s honorary degree until the Vatican concludes its canonical trial. The University made a similar decision to wait for a civil court conviction before revoking Bill Cosby’s honorary degree in 2018. But many student government leaders argued that this precedent should not prevent the University from taking immediate action in McCarrick’s case.“What’s important to consider is that this is a very different case,” director of faith and service Aaron Benavides said. “Archbishop McCarrick was very closely tied to the University … and there really is no question in the [credibility of the] allegations against McCarrick.”Many senators argued Catholic leadership has already taken enough action to prove McCarrick’s guilt. A review board of the New York Archdiocese called the accusations against McCarrick credible, and several other Catholic universities have already revoked honorary degrees from McCarrick.Senators signaled their resolve on the issue of sexual assault with their swift and decisive move to condemn McCarrick. Student body vice president Corey Gayheart said in an interview following the meeting that student government leaders will be looking into the issue of sexual assault more in the coming weeks and months. “Please make sure that you’re dialed in and focused for the remainder of our term,” Gayheart urged senators. “I think we can get a lot of … really good things done if we stick to it and keep working hard.”Tags: Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, Notre Dame Student Senate, sexual assault, Title IXlast_img read more

Tomori eyes FA Cup glory

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Rennes want Fikayo Tomori, £25m for Mendy Lampard: Tomori won’t leave Chelsea Fikayo Tomori has claimed he wants to follow in the footsteps of Frank Lampard and add to Chelsea’s “rich history” in the FA Cup by lifting the trophy this season. The 22-year-old scored the winner in Saturday’s 2-1 win over Hull, which saw the Blues safely into the hat for tonight’s fifth-round draw. Lampard won the trophy four times as a player and although the FA Cup is not a priority for him this season, Tomori insisted he would like to add to his boss’s fond memories of the world’s oldest domestic cup competition. “Chelsea have a rich history in the FA Cup,” said Tomori. “With the gaffer being in there we went to a lot of finals at Wembley. “We have seen Chelsea lift it many times with Conte and in the past as well. Of course, it is Chelsea and we want to fight for every competition. “There’s a trophy to play for at the end of it. When you step on the pitch we are not thinking this is just an FA Cup game or this is a Champions League game. “We want to win. Every game is the same. Going into the FA Cup games we want to do the same thing. We want to try to go as far as we can.” The FA Cup may also be a useful opportunity for Tomori to revive a breakthrough season, which has stalled of late. Tomori was a key part of the fresh injection of youth under Lampard, forming an early-season centre-back partnership with Kurt Zouma, the highlight of which was undoubtedly keeping a clean sheet in Amsterdam as Chelsea secured a vital Champions League group stage victory against Ajax last October. He signed a new five-year contract in December just a week before turning 22 but has found first-team appearances hard to come by since Antonio Rudiger’s return from injury with Lampard preferring Andreas Christensen in the Blues’ last three League outings. Tomori has started just five of the past 13 matches in all competitions but featured in both rounds of the FA Cup so far. “I think it gives me the opportunity to have a run of games,” said Tomori, who spent last season on loan at Derby. “We can all contribute. We’re into the fifth round, so we can watch the draw and wait to see who we get. Hopefully we can get a good draw and win again. “With winning games and playing games it builds confidence. I feel a lot more confident than I was in the beginning at the season so I feel like I have a bigger role to play in the team. “That’s whether I am in the team or not I feel like that’s in what I need to bring to the training sessions and the changing room even though I am just starting out. “Us young players are encouraged to talk in the changing room and use our voices. “This season as it has gone on I have tried to do that a lot more. “We young players have a lot of personalities even though we are young and we just want to show what we can do.”Tags: FA CupFikayo TomoriFrank Lampardlast_img read more

Rob Manfred denies MLB has doctored baseballs to boost home runs

first_img Justin Verlander ‘100%’ believes MLB is juicing balls for more home runs “It’s a f—ing joke,” said Verlander, the Astros ace who will start for the AL in the All-Star Game on Tuesday. “Major League Baseball’s turning this game into a joke. They own Rawlings, and you’ve got Manfred up here saying it might be the way they center the pill. They own the f—ing company. If any other $40 billion company bought out a $400 million company and the product changed dramatically, it’s not a guess as to what happened. “We all know what happened. Manfred the first time he came in, what’d he say? He said, we want more offense. All of a sudden he comes in, the balls are juiced? It’s not coincidence. We’re not idiots.” Home runs are flying out of MLB parks at a record pace this year, leading many to speculate that the baseballs are “doctored,” so to speak.Not so, says MLB commissioner Rob Manfred. A day after All-Star Justin Verlander called the home run explosion “a f—ing joke,” claiming MLB has “juiced” the baseballs, Manfred reacted.  Baseball is on a pace to see 6,668 home runs this season, which would shatter the record of 6,105 set in 2017.Manfred says MLB has been transparent about the state of baseballs.“If we were going to do it, we would do it in a way that was transparent to the media and fans before making that change,” Manfred said (via MLB.com). “Baseball has done nothing, given no direction, for an alteration of the baseball,” Manfred said (via ESPN).Yet most everyone agrees the baseballs are not the same. Even Manfred concedes the balls — made by Rawlings, which is owned by MLB — are different. Verlander ripped that MLB/Rawlings connection in his scathing comments Monday. Related Newslast_img read more

State Prisons Temporarily Closed to New Inmates

first_imgFlorida prisons have temporarily stopped accepting new inmates, the Department of Corrections confirmed Wednesday. The move is aimed at preventing the spread of coronavirus in state correctional facilities, although it shifts the responsibility of housing offenders to local officials.The policy went into effect Monday.In a statement issued Wednesday, department officials said they are restricting the intake of inmates and “new commitments from counties” until March 30. They emphasized the timeline could change following further consultation with public health officials about the virus, officially known as COVID-19.The decision to halt the flow of inmates into the state’s prison system, which houses around 96,000 offenders, comes one week after Department of Corrections officials cancelled visitation privileges until April 5. However, prisoners’ lawyers are still allowed to have face-to-face visits.State prison officials reassured the public on Tuesday that the department is “fully prepared to handle any potential cases of COVID-19 within the state operated correctional institutions in Florida.”last_img read more

England’s Jordan wins St Andrews Links Trophy

first_img11 Jun 2017 England’s Jordan wins St Andrews Links Trophy England’s Matthew Jordan has been threatening all season and has now pulled off the biggest win of his career with victory in the St Andrews Links Trophy in Scotland. The 21-year-old from the England Golf A Squad had four sub-par rounds and finished on 11-under, one shot ahead of Ireland’s John Ross Galbraith. The Cheshire golfer realised the magnitude of his win when he came off the Old Course at St Andrews to see his grandparents. “My grandma was just made up, it was great to see the joy in their faces, their happiness,” he said. “This is my first really big win. It’s brilliant, but hard to describe the feeling, it’s unique and I just want to try and savour it.” Jordan (Royal Liverpool) began making a name for himself last season when his performances played him into the England A Squad. This year he’s continued the form, with seventh place in the Lytham Trophy, fourth in the Irish, fifth in the Brabazon Trophy, runner-up in last week’s Scottish men’s open – and now the winner of a major amateur title. “It’s not one thing that I’ve done. I did well last year to get into squads and it’s just carried on from there,” he said. “The next step is trying to believe you can win and having confidence and belief in yourself.” Jordan was under par in every round at the St Andrews Links Trophy, opening with two-under 70 on the Jubilee Course and adding 68 69 70 on the Old Course. He was tied for the lead at the start of the final round and quickly forged ahead, playing the first 12 holes in five under par. When he reached the 17th he knew he had a four-shot lead and he chose the conservative option, deliberately avoiding disaster on the Road Hole, and playing smart golf to finish bogey, bogey. Behind him the challengers were jostling for position, but none could catch him. Jordan is England’s first winner in this championship since Hampshire’s Neil Raymond in 2013. Click here for more information Image copyright Kenny Smithlast_img read more