Las Vegas fans scramble as cable fight threatens Super Bowl The entrance to Levi’s Stadium is decorated with images of Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, left, and Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton Tuesday, Feb 2, 2016 in Santa Clara, Calif. The Denver Broncos will play the Carolina Panthers in the NFL Super Bowl 50 football game Sunday, Feb. 7, 2015, at Levi’s Stadium. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) LAS VEGAS, Nev. – From the taco bar to the chicken wings, Me Ray Shook has long had the potluck planned for her annual Super Bowl party. It’s how to watch the big game that she hasn’t figured out.Like tens of thousands of other Las Vegas football fans, Shook and her husband are scrambling to find backup plans as a bitter rate dispute between a cable provider and the local CBS affiliate threatens to leave their TVs dark to Sunday’s championship between the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos.Cox Communications cable customers haven’t been able to watch any CBS programs since Saturday, when KLAS-TV pulled the channel off the Cox lineup after five months of failed contract negotiations.About 40 per cent of all area households pay Cox for TV, internet or phone services, according to market research firm SNL Kagan.The TV station’s parent company, Nexstar Broadcasting Group, wants the cable giant to pay more to carry its programming. Cox has balked at the costs and says KLAS is “out of line” to seek a threefold rate increase, which they say could ultimately drive up cable bills.KLAS-TV says their proposal is closer to double current prices and insists that local broadcasters are severely underpaid compared with what Cox pays a channel like ESPN. Both say nondisclosure terms in their contract prohibit disclosing the actual rates.Cox said Wednesday that it will make “ESPN Deportes” free during the game so that subscribers at least can watch it in Spanish.Some fans are bypassing the fight by purchasing digital antennas, a modern version of rabbit ears that can pull in local broadcast signals. Others are switching to satellite or Internet-based TV providers or making plans to head to bars, restaurants and casino sports books, which have overlapping satellite systems.Jeffrey Lonergan, 63, said he found a neighbour with satellite to host his Super Bowl party.“I think it’s terrible that they hold us hostage,” he said. “I’m mad at both of them that they can’t come to an agreement.”At least one TV competitor has benefited from the impasse.“Our phones have been ringing off the hook and our stores have had steady traffic,” CenturyLink spokesman Jason Chan said in an email. “Many of the customers are happy there is competition in the market, as it gives them options.”Battles pitting TV service providers against content programmers and station owners have become increasingly common. Last year, a record 193 blackouts occurred nationwide, more than double compared with 2014, according to the American Television Alliance. The group lists cable companies among its partners.Nexstar Broadcasting Group’s fight involves more than a dozen other television stations in Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, Missouri and Virginia. But Las Vegas is the only place where the Super Bowl is at stake.The battle is playing out in public, even as the two sides negotiate in private.Each has sent emails to customers urging them to take action against the other. KLAS-TV has aired segments about the dispute and suggested customers abandon Cox. The cable provider has pulled $400,000 in advertising from the station and ran ads elsewhere blaming KLAS.Frustrated customers just want their programs back.“I don’t know what the real story is, but I don’t care. We are the victims. They’re trying to use us as pawns,” said Shook, 64. “It’s taking joy out of our lives.”Shook said she likely won’t put in the effort to switch TV services. She said she only hopes it can be resolved soon, if not for the Super Bowl, than for another CBS program she’s watched since she came to the U.S. in the 1970s from South Korea: “60 Minutes.”___Associated Press writer Tali Arbel contributed from New York. by Sally Ho, The Associated Press Posted Feb 3, 2016 10:40 am MDT Last Updated Feb 3, 2016 at 11:20 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedInterpol warrant issued for four N. Koreans: MalaysiaMarch 16, 2017In “World”Chemical weapon VX nerve agent killed N.Korean leader’s half brother: Malaysian policeFebruary 24, 2017In “World”Malaysia releases Kim Jong Nam’s body in deal ending spat with North KoreaMarch 30, 2017In “World” Two of the wanted men are Kim Uk II (left) and Hyon Kwang Song (right) AFP Image(BBC) Malaysian police have named a senior North Korean embassy official they want to question in connection with the killing of Kim Jong-nam.Hyon Kwang Song is one of three more North Koreans being sought. One of the others is a state airline employee.Police also confirmed Mr Kim, half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, died after two women wiped a toxin on him at Kuala Lumpur airport.North Korea’s embassy in Malaysia angrily denied the claims.In a statement, it said the fact that the substance was on the hands of the women proved it could not have been a poison and called for the immediate release of the “innocent females” and a North Korean man.Speaking at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur earlier on Wednesday, Malaysian Police Chief Khalid Abu Bakar said they were looking for three North Koreans in addition to the previously announced suspects.One of them is Hyon Kwang Song, 44, the second secretary of the North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur.The others are Kim Uk II, 37, who works for Air Koryo, and another North Korean Ri Ju U.Mr Abu Bakar said they had written to the North Korean ambassador to Malaysia asking him to allow police to interview Mr Hyon and the other two men, who are believed still to be in the country.If the ambassador does not co-operate, “we will compel them to come to us”, he said, without giving details.Four other North Koreans named earlier in the case are thought to have left Malaysia already.The police chief also said security had been stepped up at the morgue where Mr Kim’s body is being kept after an attempted break-in earlier in the week.“We knew there were attempts by someone to break into the hospital mortuary. We had to take precautions,” he was quoted by the Malay Mail as saying.Mr Abu Bakar also confirmed widely reported details of the 13 February killing.Kim Jong-nam’s death has sparked a diplomatic row(AFP Image)A leaked video of the incident shows a man resembling Mr Kim being approached by one woman at Kuala Lumpur airport, before another woman lunges from behind and grabs his face.‘They knew it was toxic’Mr Abu Bakar said the two female suspects had wiped a toxin on Mr Kim’s face with their bare hands “and after that they went away”.Indonesian authorities have said Siti Aisyah had thought she was taking part in a TV prank, but Mr Abu Bakar said the women had clearly been “instructed to clean their hands” and knew the substance was toxic.He added that the women practised the move several times beforehand in shopping centres in Kuala Lumpur.Authorities are still waiting for the results of the post-mortem examination of Mr Kim’s body, and are seeking his family members to provide a DNA sample.North Korea has demanded that Mr Kim’s body be returned to them, and has angrily objected to Malaysia conducting an autopsy of the body.Malaysia has cited the need to carry out an investigation as Mr Kim died on their soil.Relations between the two countries have become strained over the incident, with North Korea’s ambassador to Malaysia saying he did not trust the police investigation and Kuala Lumpur recalling its envoy in Pyongyang.Who are the suspects?Ten people have either been named as suspects or are wanted by Malaysian police for questioning in connection to Kim Jong-nam’s killing.DetainedA woman seen in CCTV footage is thought to be Vietnamese national Doan Thi Huong (REX/Shutterstock)Doan Thi Huong, 28, Vietnamese, one of two women suspected of wiping toxins on Mr Kim’s face. She is thought to be the woman seen in CCTV footage wearing a white top emblazoned with the letters “LOL”.Siti Aisyah, 25, Indonesian, the other female suspect. Indonesian authorities say she claims she thought she was taking part in a TV prank.Ri Jong Chol, 47, a North Korean.Muhammad Farid Jalaluddin, the Malaysian boyfriend of Siti Aisyah.Sought for questioningHyon Kwang Song, 44, second secretary at the North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Believed to still be in Malaysia.Kim Uk Il, 37, staff member of North Korea’s state airline Air Koryo. Believed to still be in Malaysia.Ri Ju U, 30, a North Korean also known as “James”. Believed to still be in Malaysia.Ri Ji Hyon, 33, a North Korean. Believed to have fled to Pyongyang.Hong Song Hac, 34, a North Korean. Believed to have fled to Pyongyang.O Jong Gil, 55, a North Korean. Believed to have fled to Pyongyang.Ri Jae Nam, 57, a North Korean. Believed to have fled to Pyongyang.